dropper post

alibabameister
alibabameister Posts: 100
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Thinking of getting a rockshox reverb (unless advised thats not the best thing to go for), but currently run a thompson layback and wondering if there is anyway of getting a similar riding position, can I get a dropper which will position the saddle in a similar position?

Cheers

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    specialized command
  • Could you expand on why you say specialized command please?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Giant contact switch has 20mm of layback and will put your saddle in a similar position as your current post. If your going to get one make sure its the new one with the black shaft.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/gear/product/giant.contact.switch.seatpost/583/39089/

GIANT_CONTACT_SWITCH_SEATPOST_2014.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Could you expand on why you say specialized command please?

I'd imagine he suggested the command because like the contact it has layback and works well.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Are they both as good as the tompson and reverb?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I have the older giant dropper, at the right price it's fine but you only get 100mm of movement and it needs regular maintenance in winter...the cable mechanism can get very stiff when dirty and the actuator arm in the body of it can get gummed up. See the pic above, the part of the internal lever pivot in blue needs covered in electrical tape otherwise crap gets thrown into the mechanism.

That said I like the post, it gives you infinite height adjustment rather than three set positions on the command and has held up for over a year. All it needs is regular maintenance and the occasional cable change, it isn't fit and forget
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Are they both as good as the tompson and reverb?
    The specialized is a better post- more drop, & more reliable
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    That's a very good summary of the Giant post. Mine is pretty reliable. I find the 100mm drop more than enough for my needs.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have the latest version of the Giant post and it can be set up to have normal external routing of the cable or stealth down the seatpost tube. Luckily my Vitus had a hole just in the right place for the operating cable on the underside of the BB so I went the stealth route. 97th Choice is right the conventional routing looks like it would fill with crud very quickly.

Just a quick point my post is all black I think the version with the blue anodised parts is original factory kit only, aftermarket I could only find the black version.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap