Cracked Rim on 2013 Ksyrium Elite

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Cleaning down the Rose after a gentle ride today and found a nice little crack on the rim (pic below).

Sadly, it appears to be a pretty common problem.

Emailed Rose with a picture and will see what they say. I believe it should still be in warranty as the bike is less than 12 months old (actually, I ordered it exactly 1 year ago on thursday).

It's covered a total of about 7,000km

DSC03573_zpsbfbb9fe4.jpg

Bit of a bummer, but never mind.

Bomb-proof indeed!! :lol::wink:

Comments

• You're claiming it was a bomb wot did it?
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Wasn't a very gentle ride then was it
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    You'll have no trouble with the warranty from Mavic with that. I had a 3 year old rim replaced with the same thing under warranty. The service is a bit slow if you need to send it off so I hope you have some other wheels!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Looks like in their neverending attempt to shave yet another gram they have found the limit... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I had the same thing happen twice with some older Elites before they sculpted the rims. The eyelet design was different then as well which is why I assumed they changed it.

I guess the Ksyrium Elites have been a very popular wheel over the years with many sold. I wonder how many instances of this problem have occurred?

EDIT

I just Googled "Ksyrium Elite crack" and it seems a fairly widespread problem Worldwide. Maybe rider weight is a factor, I weigh 83 kgs.
  • ugo.santalucia
    hypster wrote:
    I had the same thing happen twice with some older Elites before they sculpted the rims. The eyelet design was different then as well which is why I assumed they changed it.

I guess the Ksyrium Elites have been a very popular wheel over the years with many sold. I wonder how many instances of this problem have occurred?

EDIT

I just Googled "Ksyrium Elite crack" and it seems a fairly widespread problem Worldwide. Maybe rider weight is a factor, I weigh 83 kgs.

Google is not a good indicator... if something is popular, you will have a number of problems and detractors. Weight is not a problem either, the rim cracks when the tension is too high. The design of these wheels relies on high tension, which in turn is not good for the rim
  • hypster wrote:

Nah, I'm 100kgs & my Ksyriums from 2012 are still going strong.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    My 2006 Ksyrium Equipes have been pretty damn bombproof but rims are now looking a bit worn...
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    Ive just had a pair put on my new bike , but I had to wait for new ones arriving as the ones in the shop (brand new) had the same problem. these hadn't even been on a bike. i will keep a close eye on mine just in case
  • The wheel has been returned to Germany this morning.

Emailed Rose on sunday night to ask them how to proceed. They replied on Monday morning with instructions on what to do, and a pre-paid returns form for DHL. Popped the wheel in a box, stuck the return label on the side and sent it off.

Just got to wait for my warranty replacement to arrive now.

Good old Rose!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I have a 2012 pair, been nothing but trouble really. No cracked rims (yet), but without ever being used in particularly bad weather they've had to have hub/bearings cleaned out 2-3 times after feeling really really gritty (for comparison I've ridden all winter in crappy weather with a pair of Campy Zondas, zero problems), plus I had a broken spoke on the rear wheel that was a total PITA to replace due to Mavic being slow to supply parts. Not sure I trust them any more, especially for longer rides.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I was in the market for some Elite standard wheels, glad i took the hand built route instead.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,713
    I had exactly the same on a rear 2010 wheel. I only noticed it when the wheel went out of true on the final 5 miles of Paris to Rome last year. The LBS said I was unlikely to get anything done under warranty as the wheel was three years old and I'd done 13,000 miles on it. And in any case, I think the crack was a result of trying to bunny-hop over a trench across the road I hadn't seen till the last minute.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Wonder how many people on here bought these wheels as they were "highly recommended" or "Bombproof" how things change....... :roll:
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    They're great wheels but unfortunately this is a relatively common problem, happened to me but luckily still under warranty. No problem getting them replaced by Sigma Sport.
    I think Mavic need to make the rims just slightly thicker :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    shmooster wrote:
    They're great wheels but unfortunately this is a relatively common problem, happened to me but luckily still under warranty. No problem getting them replaced by Sigma Sport.
    I think Mavic need to make the rims just slightly thicker :-)

Which means having to admit they will weigh 1650 grams and nobody will buy them
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    They need to do something, must be costing a fortune in replacements and can't be doing the brand any good.