Headset

wideboy
wideboy Posts: 206
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi all I'm in the process of stripping down and servicing my 2006 Trek 1200 sl. The headset bearings are shot and need replacing, it currently has a cane creek press fit with cups. What is the easiest way to determine the correct replacements?

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    The easiest way is to take it to a shop and say fix that please and pick it up later. Im pretty sure you need to take the old ones and out buy replacements according to the numbers on the bearings. I dont think you can "guess" which ones they are.
  • wideboy
    I was hoping that would be the case, but after removing the cups alas no numbers :(
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Have you tried matching your headset to what Cane Creek has on their website? http://www.canecreek.com/products/headsets You can get part numbers from their site as well and order from your LBS or internet. Their bearing spares seem a little overpriced to me but I would guess from a little searching you could find some cheaper options. If it's a case of your old bearing is still good but just needs some grease you can use a thin blade to peel back the seal, flush out the bearing and apply more grease.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I had a similar issue a while back.
    Ring Trek uk, give them the year and model and they'll supply you with a part number. It was - 01908 360160.
  • wideboy
    Thanks all for your help. A call to trek seems to have sourced a direct replacement. Cheets guys