Campag cable sets

markwb79
markwb79 Posts: 937
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Quick question I hope...

is there an alternative to the cable set from Campag that is better?

Thanks
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Better how? I found the standard cables just fine :-)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Having used Campag with both the standard supplied cables and yokozuna, there's not a lot in it. Yokozuna are better in the brake smoothness department when on the workbench, but not a lot in it once cycling at all, and don't go for them if you have tight cable bends as they are less bendy. There's a lot of rubbish talked about cables, but the high end offerings by all the top groupsets are pretty damn good if not perfect. Yokozuna may be better when bends aren't an issue, Nokon can be better when bends are an issue, but once something is shifting and braking perfectly, most aftermarket offerings are not really offering diddly-squat. Things like Jagwire's top offerings for instance don't offer anything much but more colours (again with less bendyness).

Get any reasonable set and if you want to then set them up with a bit of rock n roll cable magic, which actually contains 15% magic.
  • markwb79
    Thanks for the reply mfin. Very helpful.

I would say that I do have a tight bends, so good to know.

Cheers again
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Markwb79 wrote:
    I would say that I do have a tight bends, so good to know.

Cheers again

Well there you go then. Concentrate on eliminating the tight bends and you'll get as much improved performance as you reasonably can and it won't cost you anything!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • markwb79
    Sorry, my shifting performance is fine, I just need new cables!
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I think the more important aspect is getting them fitted and set up by someone who knows what they are doing. Campy cables are well up to the job.

Peter
  • markwb79
    northpole wrote:
    I think the more important aspect is getting them fitted and set up by someone who knows what they are doing. Campy cables are well up to the job.

Peter

Thanks a lot. I can install and set up them up, thanks though.

I just need some new ones, thats all! So seeing if there are alternatives etc.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    rafletcher wrote:
    Better how? I found the standard cables just fine :-)

+1
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Markwb79 wrote:
    northpole wrote:

Peter

Thanks a lot. I can install and set up them up, thanks though.

I just need some new ones, thats all! So seeing if there are alternatives etc.

No offence intended! I was unfortunate enough to rely on a couple of guys who, it turned out later, weren't quite as knowledgeable as I had assumed from the way they spoke! As I said in another recent thread, my long running campy problem was sorted by (what I am told is) one of the best campy mechanics who expressed a strong preference to fitting campy cables instead of alternatives. The gears worked perfectly after a very long period of problems.

Peter
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you take a rare earth magnet and put it near a campagnolo cable they are almost not magnetic showing a very high chromium and nickel content. In other words they don't rust. Mine have been in place for three years and shifting is a good as the day there were fitted (the bike is used when it wet as well). They have done over 8000 miles and have not been changed.

They are in my mind at least the finest cables out there it not just the cables but the casings too.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.