Superstar customer service

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited March 2014 in MTB general
Seen loads of threads and posts slagging off SS customer service but my experience has always been good. Last week my Superstar Tesla freehub started making an occasional clonk noise when starting pedalling. Pulled freehub out and one of the teeth had chipped off causing a slight slip. Emailed SS Tuesday asking what I should do, got a reply 4 hours later they said send wheel back for us to look at.

They got wheel thursday midday emailed me to say it would be going to warranty dept and Friday at 3pm I got an email back saying we have rebuilt wheel with a new Tesla EVO hub and it will be collected by UPS. If it hadnt been Friday I would have got wheel back next day but I have just tracked it via the UPS link and I will have it back tommorow morning before noon.

Its a fact of life you send a snotty email or make a snotty phone call dont be surprised if you get snotty service.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• Indeed.

Superstar have always been great for me, I rate them highly.

You'll always find more threads moaning than praising on the web though.
  • midgehulluk
    midgehulluk Posts: 195
    What's your thoughts on the wheels they sell, any good?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have always found their customer service to be pretty good.
    Their wheel builds are good. Not the best but not bad. Very good for the price.
  • Yup. Not as good as a merlin handbuilt set (I assume superstar are machine built), but you get lifetime wheel truing!

Hubs and rims are very good, ive had no issues at all with mine and I give them a beating!
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I go in and see them as they are local to me, always very helpful and do some super prices on parts when I went in :)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • midgehulluk
    midgehulluk Posts: 195
    And the hubs do they stand the test of time? Are they easy to change axel sizes. Thinking of getting a new set of wheels that's all and like northern monkey said you always find more bad reviews then good.
  • stubs
    What's your thoughts on the wheels they sell, any good?

I have had 2 sets of SS wheels and both were good and straight and have stayed that way, the bearings in the first sets Switch front hub died after a while but took less than half an hour to swap. Swapping axles is easy especially on the Tesla hubs the front axle adaptors just pull out, the rears need 2 x 5mm allen keys. Older Switch rears need an allen key and a cone spanner.

The freehub problem is just one of those things that can happen to any manufacturer, a mate trashed a Hope Hoop rear wheel the drive side flange came off like the rim of a pie crust.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Switch evos are quick to change axles too, as stubs said about the teslas the fronts on the switch evo just pull out, the rears just need 2 thin spanners, took around 10 minutes to change both on mine last week
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's really easy to change axle sizes.
    The bearings can be a bit hit and miss (like lots of oe bearings) the only problem I have had is freehub bodies cracking on the switch evo rear. It's a standard Novatec part so easy to get a replacement, its the same part as used on Bontrager and Specialized and lots of other hubs. Mine have been replaced under warranty very quickly and they sent a new axle as well.
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Always been fine with me. I got a set of their new Delta's on release and within a few rides the bearings have disintegrated and the pedal body came off the axle. I'm yet to return them due to not having my tools to remove them but their e-mail was both apologetic and helpful, seems promising to be sorted.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    I've ordered a few things from them and had good service most the time, I once placed an order on some clearance wheels (Flows/ black switch hubs) and got an email the day after to say someone else had already bought the wheels I ordered. That cheesed me off somewhat, I then looked through the clearnace list and found some more wheels had been added, luckily I found the same wheels with orange hubs, which were perfect. Good result in the end.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Ordered a couple of handlebars and a chain guide, handlebars have excellent finish and perform well but XCR single chainring guide is a trial and error fit, but if you get it right works as good as any chain guide of this type. products dispatched next day, express delivery, fast email response and with every package I even got a pack of jellybeans! :D
  • No issues whatsoever polite quick responses very efficient and helpful I'd say.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Only good things to say from me, never understood why do many people seem to hate them so much .. ? Always answered questions quickly, any issues have been resolved in a fair manner.

Wheelsets are generally good but factor in £15 to get them re-tensioned by your LBS. There are some reports of spokes coming loose after a few rides. You can post them back to Superstar to get them done for free but insured postage is about £15 anyways. They also have a very good crash replacement policy for wheels too.
  • stubs
    I would like to complain about SS they promised my wheel back monday morning yet it arrived at 12.03 I think you will find thats the afternoon. Plus they had the cheek to upgrade me to a better hub with a steel freehub body and a free roll of yellow tubeless tape. How dare they I blame Wiggle.
  • I've not had an issue where I had to contact Superstar, but their ordering service is excellent. Last Thursday I ordered a star nut and a pair of grip end caps bits from Superstar, a shock pump from Rutland and some gloves from On One. I received the Superstar bits on Saturday. I'm still waiting for the gloves after On One said they were awaiting dispatch. I only received a dispatch notice from Rutland today.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    They wouldn't cancel an order I had made as they said it had been processed, took almost a week to arrive after that. Then I had to go through paypal to get my refund when I refused delivery.

alternatively I've had normal service from them with delivery in a couple of days but my experience of their customer service is poor.
  • stubs
    POAH wrote:
    They wouldn't cancel an order I had made as they said it had been processed, took almost a week to arrive after that. Then I had to go through paypal to get my refund when I refused delivery.

alternatively I've had normal service from them with delivery in a couple of days but my experience of their customer service is poor.

To be fair I tried to cancel an order with one of the other big mail order firms (cant remember which one) and they said the same once its been processed its too late to do anything. They said just return the unwanted item. Possibly once the order is ready and in the container or whatever it goes out in its too much hassle to go through thousands of parcels and disrupt a delivery.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Just placed my first order with them last night, email this morning to say its dispatched, so far so good.