This is not right, assistance welcome

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, changed my sram x5 shifters and x7 rear mech to sox and zee rear mech today, not without its problems though, and looking for some advice on what I have done wrong.

When i go into the big ring both ends (ok some may say you shouldn't) the rear mechs wheels hit the big cog, but only when I am sat on the bike (giant reign 2)

Thats one issue, the other is, I can only get it shifting correctly up the gears, or down the gears, not both. I have followed guides etc... but can not for the life of me sort this shifting out.

I did take 2 links out of the chain, as I moved from long cage to the zee

Thanks
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• KevChallis
    7755F205-3441-428C-AC6E-760E5A8CBA1C_zpseznoz2in.jpg

This is without me sat on it
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Is the chain running thru the jockey wheels correctly.

SRAM_XX1_SF_MG_8443-600x400.jpg
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    chain length changing when you sit on the bike. let air out of the shock and recheck chain length. might need to add more links and adjust B tension
  • Either the short cage mech doesn't have enough chain wrap capacity for a mech that size or your chain is too short. Or both.

You haven't mentioned what it looks like when it's in the small small combo.

And indexing the mech will probably be easier when the chain is the right length.
    Delete my fucking account.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You are trying to run 2x10 with an 11-36 cassette and a zee mech?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • KevChallis
    You are trying to run 2x10 with an 11-36 cassette and a zee mech?

Yeah, in my noob way, will this not work?

Thanks
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Well given the Zee groupset is designed for a single ring up front and that's a short cage mech whose maximum capacity is 28 teeth on the rear cassette, no.

You need a longer mech. But the longer of the two zee mechs is only designed for up to 36 teeth on the rear cassette and you appear to be running an 11-36 PLUS two chainrings up front (given you said you changed your shifters, plural), Zee won't work.

Try an XT or SLX with a long cage.
    Delete my fucking account.
  • KevChallis
    So options are drop change to 1 x 10, or see if I can get some sort of exchange from CRC, although it has been fitted
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • 97th choice
    Kind of, but as said above it may well not work on the 11-36 cassette, adjust the b screw and try it on the middle ring only

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Zee is a single ring only mech the shadow plus is the one you need if you want to run that set up

Slightly heavier and longer
  • Kind of, but as said above it may well not work on the 11-36 cassette, adjust the b screw and try it on the middle ring only

1x10 they are ok with 11/36
  • KevChallis
    What do you class as middle ring, I only have a 24 or 38 up front, and this was set up on the 38, although, when I shortened the chain, I put the chain around both big rings and then added 2 links, is this the correct way, I see so many different ways :/

Surely I should be able to get it to work purely on the 38t chain ring?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Which version of the Zee do you have?

There's one version with a 25t capacity, and one with a 17t capacity. Both were designed for exclusively single-ring set ups (the 25t one can only just do 25t, too). The mech just doesn't have the capacity to run with your desired set-up. An XT or SLX mech is what you need.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • KevChallis
    It's the 32-36t wide ratio version.

Expect to see a zee in the for sale section soon. As it's fitted I doubt CRC will refund it lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • 97th choice
    You will probably be ok, just clean it up and send it back. Your choice but if you get an x9 type 2 you can send your shimano shifter back as well. Although if money is no object keep the shimano

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    KevChallis wrote:
    What do you class as middle ring, I only have a 24 or 38 up front, and this was set up on the 38, although, when I shortened the chain, I put the chain around both big rings and then added 2 links, is this the correct way, I see so many different ways :/

You should be able to, if it is the wide ratio version, although I would swap your front chainring before setting it up. As per your other thread, 34t is the largest I would go on that bike.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • It matters not what the "middle" ring is as such the zee is only capable of running with a SINGLE ring on the front. Not the two rings you have.

The short cage is the one with limited capacity the wide cage is the one you have there and that will be fine up to a 11/36 rear

As mentioned the one you need to run a shadow plus clutched mech which is the "zee" type shimano option for 2 x (X) set ups.

Assuing you will be staying with Shimano that is.
  • Have you also checked the chain is in the rear mech the right way
  • 97th choice
    It matters not what the "middle" ring is as such the zee is only capable of running with a SINGLE ring on the front. Not the two rings you have.

The short cage is the one with limited capacity the wide cage is the one you have there and that will be fine up to a 11/36 rear

As mentioned the one you need to run a shadow plus clutched mech which is the "zee" type shimano option for 2 x (X) set ups.

Assuing you will be staying with Shimano that is.

He's going single ring, he just hasn't changed to it yet and is setting up using the 38t as his reference point.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    You sized the chain correctly, but what you didn't take in to account is that the chain needs to be longer at full travel.

Remove the air from the shock and compress the rear of the bike and you will see the rear mech get stretched as you compress it until the jockey wheel hits the biggest cog.

If you put a link or 2 back in you should be fine.

What the others have said is right though, you'll find the chain to be too long on the smallest chain ring so i'd avoid using it and do your 1x10 conversion asap.
  • KevChallis wrote:

Get all the correct parts fitted and start from scratch.

No point in setting the bike up if you're about to change things.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Will the Shimano Zee mech work woth the SRAM shifters?

Been out the scene for a bit but I know they never used to be compatible.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • 97th choice
    I think he's changed his shifter, if he hasn't that will also explain a lot.

Basically right components on first, then set up correctly.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I see, think he means slx where he put sox.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    Will the Shimano Zee mech work woth the SRAM shifters?

Been out the scene for a bit but I know they never used to be compatible.

No, it will be the wrong pull ratio.

Are you certain the mech is the wide cage one ? have you checked the box. ?
  • KevChallis
    Yup, it's wide ratio.

Yeah, was going to stay 2x10 for a while, but will get the parts ordered later to finish the conversion, one question, will I need a crank puller? I know (from other threads) I will need narrow wide chainring, I will go for a 34, and single ring chainring bolts. Anything else, thanks all for your help, I appreciate it
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • 97th choice
    Try taking the rings off now to see, if you had a triple you would but I don't know about a double.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I know from experience that normal single ring bolts don't work (not long enough) pull need specific ones like the e thirteen jobbies s
  • KevChallis
    yeah, ordered 34t Race Face Narrow Wide chain ring, and some ethirteen single ring bolts
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • 34t hey ... Someone's feeling strong :)