Torn Weld on Stealth Route

seanhunter
seanhunter Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently bought a new Lappierre, I noticed that the stealth route at the bottom of the seat tube has torn. I'm in no doubt that the seat has been lowered too much at some point and this is what's caused the damage. However, I only lower the seat fully when transporting the bike on my roof rack. I took the bike back to the shop and explained this, the guy in the shop was a bit hostile and told me that he would have to speak to the workshop manager on Monday. Additionally, the bike was ex display and the damage could have been done prior to purchase. Where do I stand on this?

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Warranty claim, should be straightforward unless there are signs of accident damage.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • A dispay bike has to be fit for purpose . Read up on sale of goods act go in polite but firm . If that fails go in when they are busy and talk loudly about your broken bike .
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If lowering the seatpost too far damages the frame then surely the frame is not fit for purpose. No idea what you mean when you say torn weld, to tear a weld you would need a massive amount of force. Do you mean crack, if you can get a decent photo and post it via flickr or a similar photo hosting sight someone might be able to help.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Here's the photo of the torn weld, the bike is in the shop just now, lets see what the manager says!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I understand neither the problem, nor what that photo is of...?
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    I don't get it either?

I see no torn weld.... just a hole that may have been stretched a bit I guess? :?:
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Someones butchered that! Cant see how that would happen TBH but defo a manufacturing defect so 100% warranty IMHO
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Its a stealth route on my seat tube. I'm guessing that a small tube is welded at an angle to form the route
  • looks like the reverb cable has worn into the seat tube to me.