manual tips

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited March 2014 in MTB general
Hi all, I have decided that this month I really want to crack the manual. I'm a pretty good manualler already; I can drop well, get my front wheel out of trouble over logs, etc. But I would ideally like to be able to hold it for a long time, so I can get through really long puddles, etc. My problem for holding it is that I'm good at getting to/ past the balance point with straight arms, etc. But when I go past the point I stop myself looping out by pulling myself forwards with my arms, so I slam Down forwards and so I can't hold it. I've tried feathering the back brake but it doesn't really work for me. Any tips?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What bike is it? Some are easier to manual than others
  • Cqc
    2007 stumpy, berry eaat to lift the front wheel so that's not the problem, and I'm not really considering changing bikes anyway I'm afraid :) the problem is more staying at the balance point
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Cqc wrote:
    2007 stumpy, berry eaat to lift the front wheel
    Me speakem good English.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    I dont manual often but wheelie loads and loads, and the best tip i can give is just keep doing it and just get the feel for the balance point of your bike. Im at a stage now where i can comfortably wheelie on the fastest gear at high speed because i have been wheelieing so often and i know where the balance point is.

So judging from my learning experience, its literally just doing it loads. And keep your arse on the saddle.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Cqc wrote:
    Me speakem good English.

not if you are from Gateshead you don't lol
  • Cqc
    Sorry, spellcheck. Very easy = berry eaat
    Gt arrowhead: the problem for me is that I lift the wheel, go past the balance point, pull myself forwards to stop myself looping out, which bends my arms and pulls be too forward as well as high up, so the front slams down.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    And keep your ars* on the saddle.

That only applies to wheelies - you can't manual whilst seated.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    POAH wrote:
    Cqc wrote:
    Me speakem good English.

Touche, hypocrite.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:
    Cqc wrote:
    Me speakem good English.

Touche, hypocrite.

I would be a hypocrite if I had suggested that my English was good but I didn't :p
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's one of those things which just takes lots of practice.
    Don't lean forward to drop the front, push the bars away from you. To lift the front, push through the pedals.
    You need to keep your weight back and low and stay relaxed.
    Some people never get it right others can just balance it for as long as they can keep it rolling.
    I can manual my Mega fairly well because the short chain stays make it easy but I could never manual my Anthem.
  • A lot of people don't get their weight back enough, I find having my bellybutton behind the rear axle is best then feather the rear brake if needed. You also need to learn to pump whilst doing a long manual, this involves doing something that looks a bit like you are humping your seat initially but as you get better at it the movements become less vigorous!
  • Cqc
    Don't lean forward to drop the front, push the bars away from you. .
    cheers for all he replies so far, but how am i meant to push the front away from me with locked arms?
  • It's all part of the lift up and push action, as your arms go straight your weight should be shifting back over the rear axle
  • rockmonkeysc
    Cqc wrote:
    cheers for all he replies so far, but how am i meant to push the front away from me with locked arms?

Your arms shouldn't be locked.
  • Cqc
    Cqc wrote:

Your arms shouldn't be locked.
    the should be straight though, ie basically locked
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    I dont manual often but wheelie loads and loads, and the best tip i can give is just keep doing it and just get the feel for the balance point of your bike. Im at a stage now where i can comfortably wheelie on the fastest gear at high speed because i have been wheelieing so often and i know where the balance point is.

So judging from my learning experience, its literally just doing it loads. And keep your ars* on the saddle.
    This, took my a while to find it but I now know exactly where the balance is, and can wheelie for miles.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB