RS81c24 vs DA9000 c24

dazza106
dazza106 Posts: 22
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking at moving to 11 speed dura ace 9000 and I am torn between the two wheel sets, can anyone help or share any thoughts and or experiences of the wheel sets

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've the da9k c24. Great wheels, roll very nicely and have very low inerita from the low rim weight. I find them plenty stiff enough (78kg). I've needed them trued once in a year of riding.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The RS 81 are significantly cheaper and considering you'll have to bin the hubs once the rims are worn, it's no point getting better hubs... rims are pretty much the same thing
    left the forum March 2023
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I have the DA9000 groupset and DA9000 C24's, the C24's are fantastic wheels, soak up the road vibrations and are nice and light at the rim to aid climbing/accelerations. I only use them during dry weather to extend the rim life and obviously keep my best bike in good shape in general.

I havent tried the RS81's (or RS80) but they are apparently the same rim but just a different hub (assume Ultegra vs DA9000)...pays ya money makes ya choice!

I am 68-70kg, if you are heavy i'd maybe not go down this route due to the low spoke count.
    Cheers, Stu
  • murphyti
    murphyti Posts: 34
    The RS 81 are significantly cheaper and considering you'll have to bin the hubs once the rims are worn, it's no point getting better hubs... rims are pretty much the same thing

Sorry for the highjack, Ugo can you elaborate on this? I am newbie to understanding wheel building, hubs ect. How long could you expect a pair to last?

I made a terribly rushed and impromptu decision on the weekend and brought a pair rs81 C35's off ebay to replace my current askiums. I was looking for a do it all wheel and I am deciding what do to with them. My feeling after doing some more research is to sell them, buy a solid set of hand builts for the road (SL 23 on miche's) and a set of deep carbon tubs for summer tri season (unfortunately I am TTing on my road bike this year).
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    murphyti wrote:

Sorry for the highjack, Ugo can you elaborate on this? I am newbie to understanding wheel building, hubs ect. How long could you expect a pair to last?

I made a terribly rushed and impromptu decision on the weekend and brought a pair rs81 C35's off ebay to replace my current askiums. I was looking for a do it all wheel and I am deciding what do to with them. My feeling after doing some more research is to sell them, buy a solid set of hand builts for the road (SL 23 on miche's) and a set of deep carbon tubs for summer tri season (unfortunately I am TTing on my road bike this year).

The hubs use straight pull spokes meaning reusing the hubs on difference rims is subject to the availability of the correct spoke lengths in straight pull version. These will either be impossible to find or very expensive. A new C35 rim will also cost you a small fortune.

My recent rim wore out on my hand built in 5000 miles. That's all weather use mind.

If you keep the RS81's for best you may get double that making them a more reasonable purchase. Owning a pair of RS80's myself I have the same predicament as you.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I have a set of RS80's and it does prevent me from running 11 speed, which is good or bad depending on your point of view! I have RS10's for winter.

As I understand it the RS80/RS81 rims are identical to Dura Ace, just with DA the hubs are that bit lighter. Is it worth paying the same price as two sets of RS81 wheelsets in order to get the better hubs? I can't answer that for you.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I have a set of RS80's and it does prevent me from running 11 speed, which is good or bad depending on your point of view! I have RS10's for winter.

Have you tried screwing an 11 speed Shimano freehub onto the RS 80 hub? They are pretty much all the same thing... I'd be surprised if it doesn't go on
    left the forum March 2023