Slipping seatpost.

roygillett
roygillett Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Workshop
A little while ago I picked up a bare carbon fibre frame and for the last month or so I've been building it up. I've just about finished, plus or minus a few adjustments and that's where I have a question.

The frame came with an extra long seat-tube--with a rounded triangular X-section--and a saddle carrier that fits *over* it fitted with a binder bolt. I had to cut the seat tube to length and assumed that the bit that fits over would provide an adjustable saddle height.

Problem is, the laquer on the outside of the seat tube is so smooth that I can't get the thing to stay up. Even quite modest pressure (and I'm definitely not a modest weight) and it slides down.

As it's carbon, I'm reluctant to wind up the tension on the binder too much, and I've read that roughing up the laquer might damage the carbon structure.

As a matter of fact the default height isn't all that bad but I'd like to try an extra inch or so. I've heard about friction compounds for this kind of thing. Would they help? Or do I need to find some way of packing out the inside of the saddle tube? (Sadly I discarded the offcuts after cutting the tube to length

TIA

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    use some assembly paste, it'll increase friction

tacx is fairly fine

finishline is grittier
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny