Is this as much of a bargain as I think it is??

PT_Craig
PT_Craig Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Currently riding a Bianchi TIagra, riding along today and the small ring decides to snap leaving me stranded 45miles from home! Starting to think about upgrading and came across this description on eBay , to me this seems like a massive bargain at £900 however I don't know too much about bikes so would be grateful for other opinions. eBay description...

Ribble Nero RC road bike (originally cost £1920.05)

The bike is in excellent condition and only been used lightly, maximum of 5 sportives, 2 training camps in Lanzarote and around 5 triathlon races (from Sprint to Olympic distances) as I have another bike which I used for training on.

Bike details (the things you might me interested in):

Ribble Nero RC Carbon Road Frame XL (57cm C to Top)

Ribble Nero RC Carbon Road Forks 1 1/8" ITS
Easton EA50 Ergo Road Handlebars (31.8) 44cm
Easton EA50 Road/MTB Stem 6deg (31.8) 120mm
Shimano Wheels Ultrega 6600 Clincher

Brakes, Chain, Levers all Shimano Ultrega 6700

Shimano Ultrega 6700 rear cassette 11-28
Shimano Ultrega 6700 DBL 10 chainset (COMPACT)

Fizik Curve Bull Saddle

(Free with the bike I will include pump, saddle bag, 2 X cages and bottles)

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Just to give you some perspective take a look at the link below available for £899 and look at the other bikes available for £999 on the site.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOTR105/ ... -road-bike

Personally I think the eBay one is over priced others may disagree.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pictures are pretty crap so I wouldn't even consider it without better or ideally actually seeing it. Also, the sellers account seems to have been dormant since 2009 which would worry me a bit.

What exactly happened to your Bianchi? A snapped small chainring is an odd failure but one that shouldn't actually strand you!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    £15 for a new chainring but how on Earth did you snap one!

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s210p3055
  • PT_Craig
    Was riding really slowly approaching a narrow bridge (standing on the pedals), pushed down on the pedal and heard a clanging noise, had a look at a piece of the inner ring had completely snapped away! Tried putting the chain on the big ring to get me home but for some reason it kept slipping off straight away. The piece of the inner ring that snapped away is very bent (May put a post with pictures in 'the workshop' part of this forum soon.)

Thanks londoncommuter I'll have a look, I've just been looking at the full tiagra chainset on Wiggle (£50) as I assumed that it would all need replacing, its definitely a job for the LBS.

Would really like to upgrade to something with better quality components, preferably Ultegra. The Planet X was another option I was considering, I was just struck by the wheels, bars and fully Ultegra of the Ribble for the price.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    The Ultegra wheelset looks like they've done a bit more mileage than that claimed in the description. £900 for a secondhand Ribble is top dollar irrespective of condition.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    nochekmate wrote:
    The Ultegra wheelset looks like they've done a bit more mileage than that claimed in the description.

Not sure how you can say that. It's not as clean as it would be if I was selling it but I just see dirt and flat braking surfaces.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • PT_Craig
    Appreciate the opinions guys, as a cycling newbie it just seemed like the components were good quality for the money hes asking.

I've made a post in the workshop with a picture attatched...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12962075
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I bought a Ribble Nero Corsa brand new from Ribble about 6 or 7 yrs ago - 999 pounds full price. Ultegra throughout & Fulcrum 7 wheels. I think you can do better to be honest.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Exactly, not even a current model. Buy a brand new 872 for just over a grand and upgrade components when they wear out
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    PT_Craig wrote:

Would really like to upgrade to something with better quality components, preferably Ultegra. The Planet X was another option I was considering, I was just struck by the wheels, bars and fully Ultegra of the Ribble for the price.

What makes you think Ultegra is a better build quality than Tiagra considering they are made my the same company?

Ultegra is better for more precise gear changing and is lighter but thats where the comparison stops. Tiagra is not a poor quality groupset, if anything its probably harder wearing than Ultegra. I would be interested to know the make of your little ring as I am pretty sure the crank on most Bianchi Tiagra groupsets is more likely to be FSA and not Shimano. Therefore replacing the crank would make more financial sense than buying a new bike unless thats what you really want to do and are just using this as an excuse to get one.