Rockshock twin air - bottom pressure effect?

D4V1D
D4V1D Posts: 233
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a good understanding of what the top/upper pressure job is. But what effect happens if the bottom pressure is low or alternatively if it's at a higher pressure?

I've misplaced the information.
I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
Cube Acid 2010
Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Experiment and you will understand it better than if anyone tries to explain it.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The negative spring is designed to create a static pressure balance. If you think of a coil spring its static when no weight is put on it. Its not trying to extend beyond its size - a 100mm spring is 100mm long when static. On the other hand an air spring is under load even when you're not on the forks. Its constantly trying to expand the forks to balance back to 1 bar. The negative spring is designed to pull on the airspring to return it to a static balance. If the negative spring didnt exist, you would have to put enough force on the forks to overcome the pressure before they would even move, killing small bump sensitivity.

Adding more negative air will pull harder on the spring, causing it to be more sensitive to loads placed on it (effectively the same as dropping pressure for the fist part of the stroke), removing negative air means that the air spring is no longer balanced, and so you need to get a certain amount of weight on the fork before it will move at all.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    Cheers both are helpful.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • http://www.sram.com/service/rockshox/7 read the pdf docs , explained very well