Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2 buying advise

andy37
andy37 Posts: 120
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I've been riding roadies for a while but recently took to the trails around where we live which consist of 1400ft of climbing and a mix of descents from moorland to steep rocky paths and I've been doing this on a £400 Marida hardtail.
So I've decided to treat myself and after looking around I was tempted by some second hand deals but after seeing this http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p518 ... BON-2-2013 at Paul's cycles I can't get past the high spec for the money but just wanted some experienced riders thoughts on it and maybe any other options under £2k. It doesn't have to be carbon but must be light and a good climber.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p443 ... M-X-0-2012

Same price.

Or you could look at one of the cheaper anthems on pauls.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    For the same money I'd have the Anthem - better spec and a proven climber. I know nothing about the 'dale though.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • scarthie99
    scarthie99 Posts: 209
    they are new bike but last year bike or Discounted bikes you can go wrong with.i got SCOTT SCALE PREMIUM paul cycle it right bike top spec top service :lol: 2750 get trigger carbon 1.
  • andy37
    No way I can stretch to £2700 but I actually have had a change of heart and have found an anthem x1 for £1450 which will make for a great bike although I am going to look at a second hand 2010 orange 5 today, which is half that again. A bit tatty but lets see. I will report back.
  • 97th choice
    andy37 wrote:
    although I am going to look at a second hand 2010 orange 5 today, which is half that again. A bit tatty but lets see. I will report back.

So you've changed your mind about wanting a bike that is light and climbs well.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • andy37
    They can't be that bad surely. One of the lads that rides with us has one and he copes fine on it, granted going from reviews the giant sounds really good and bloody light considering it's ally. I had a go on his orange at the weekend but I'm too inexperienced to pass judgement tbh.
  • 97th choice
    Is it the 5 S model? I'm guessing it would be pushing 14kg, maybe slightly less. Slack head angle and plenty of suspension bob. Maybe more fun going down hill but it won't be a flyer up it.

But then again you are comparing apples and oranges.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    If you've got 2k to spend then get an Anthem X0 much better spec than the Trigger.
  • andy37
    First thanks for all your inputs. 2k was really pushing my budget but i had gone off the cannondale in favour of a giant x1 which could be found for £1450 but i came across a cheap orange 5 and as it was half as much again as the Giant i figured id be a fool not to get it. So i kind of swayed right out of what the title was asking really but took it out today and yes i certainly wasnt flying up the hills but i did have great fun coming down but i would have since its my 1st full susser. The bike needs fetling as ground clearance was poor so will get tweeking over the next few days and go again at the weekend.
    Cheers