Need to make some changes?

stevesloan
stevesloan Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Ok hi cyclists... I am totally new to cycling and just purchased the subject bike for commuting to work and back and a few hours at the weekend. I've joined skyride so when much better I can go out with others on 13mile plus rides.
But as I'm totally new to road bikes and cycling (haven't done it n years)

Seems cycling can be an expensive game.. I hate my pedals they had some rope thing around them which I have removed as can never get both feet in so now I place my feet upon the rubber shoe holder so I'm guessing I gotta buy some new pedals now. And some lights,a pump (might get a c02 one) also some inner tubes, 2 locks as it's quick release on both wheels, maybe some cycling clothing, and other accessories too

Huh what have I let my self in for !

Comments

• VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    What have you let yourself in for indeed! Top tip, try to avoid GAS, (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) which seems to be directly proportional to the proliferation of the internet and forums. There is always a better bike, more gear, new gadgets. Cycling can be a very cheap fitness tool, hobby, sport, transport.

I'd prefer to have the ability rather than 'all the gear, no idea.'
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • set goals in your cycling and each time you hit one treat yourself as a reward
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    stevesloan wrote:
    Ok hi cyclists... I am totally new to cycling and just purchased the subject bike for commuting to work and back and a few hours at the weekend. I've joined skyride so when much better I can go out with others on 13mile plus rides.

Seems cycling can be an expensive game.. I hate my pedals they had some rope thing around them which I have removed as can never get both feet in so now I place my feet upon the rubber shoe holder so I'm guessing I gotta buy some new pedals now. And some lights,a pump (might get a c02 one) also some inner tubes, 2 locks as it's quick release on both wheels, maybe some cycling clothing, and other accessories too

i have no idea what pedals you are talking about. what shoes are you using to cycle in?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Ringpeace
    Ringpeace Posts: 105
    stevesloan wrote:

Err - what on earth are you on about? No, seriously - what is the "question" here? You have bought a new bike with what appears to be absolutely no clue and having done no research. Telling us that fact and posing it as a question.

I too am a beginner but spent many hours researching and asking questions about what I was going to buy and why.

It seems like you have just appeared out of the ether. Do you actually know how to ride a bike?

Appears troll like,

"I've joined skyride so when much better I can go out with others on 13mile plus rides." - I wouldn't bother when it will be taking you away from trolling! Who would say 13 miles as a distance to aspire to?

"I hate my pedals they had some rope thing around them which I have removed as can never get both feet in so now I place my feet upon the rubber shoe holder so I'm guessing I gotta buy some new pedals now."

Hmmm

"a pump (might get a c02 one)" - Cos every person new to cycling, who didn't know what a toe strap was would know all about C02 cartridges - LOL - yeah right!

Am sure you will get responses and people leaping to your defence. I see straight through it for whatever bizarre reason you have done it - LOL

Not sure who is more pathetic - you for making bizarre rubbish up or me for calling you on it - having read and seen through. Hmmm?
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Ringpeace wrote:
    stevesloan wrote:

Err - what on earth are you on about? No, seriously - what is the "question" here? You have bought a new bike with what appears to be absolutely no clue and having done no research. Telling us that fact and posing it as a question.

I too am a beginner but spent many hours researching and asking questions about what I was going to buy and why.

It seems like you have just appeared out of the ether. Do you actually know how to ride a bike?

Appears troll like,

"I've joined skyride so when much better I can go out with others on 13mile plus rides." - I wouldn't bother when it will be taking you away from trolling! Who would say 13 miles as a distance to aspire to?

"I hate my pedals they had some rope thing around them which I have removed as can never get both feet in so now I place my feet upon the rubber shoe holder so I'm guessing I gotta buy some new pedals now."

Hmmm

"a pump (might get a c02 one)" - Cos every person new to cycling, who didn't know what a toe strap was would know all about C02 cartridges - LOL - yeah right!

Am sure you will get responses and people leaping to your defence. I see straight through it for whatever bizarre reason you have done it - LOL

Not sure who is more pathetic - you for making bizarre rubbish up or me for calling you on it - having read and seen through. Hmmm?

There's a tendency in this place to default to being an un-friendly cnut. If you think someone is trolling, don't reply. You've pretty much done exactly what trolling sets out to achieve by getting your knickers in a twist; alternatively, this is just a new guy to cycling and you've done the obvious cycling elitist pr*ck move and tried to shun someone out of the hobby. Play nice or go home.

It's not unreasonable for someone who knows nothing about cycling to get into the hobby and love it but only know bits and bobs. I know guys who love to ride bikes and have seen di2 stuff on the internet but barely know how to change a tyre. It takes all sorts. It also takes wankers I suppose.
  • skyeflyguy
    skyeflyguy Posts: 110
    dilatory wrote:
    Ringpeace wrote:
    stevesloan wrote:

Appears troll like,

Hmmm

There's a tendency in this place to default to being an un-friendly cnut. If you think someone is trolling, don't reply. You've pretty much done exactly what trolling sets out to achieve by getting your knickers in a twist; alternatively, this is just a new guy to cycling and you've done the obvious cycling elitist pr*ck move and tried to shun someone out of the hobby. Play nice or go home.

It's not unreasonable for someone who knows nothing about cycling to get into the hobby and love it but only know bits and bobs. I know guys who love to ride bikes and have seen di2 stuff on the internet but barely know how to change a tyre. It takes all sorts. It also takes wankers I suppose.
    Here here, spot on! The clue is in the title "Road Beginners" posted in the correct place surely?
    If you cant say something positive, then why not join another forum where your negativity may be better appreciated.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It is a bit of a surprise when you start out. I've got a shed full of kit that I've tried, then discarded after a few months (predominantly things like handlebars and saddles). Not to mention the clothes you get through if you crash as often as I do!

Once you've got the basics in place it's definitely helpful if you get a good summer - stops you pondering what you might buy for it next! I found that it was also useful to pick an absurd target (e.g. 130 mile sportive by September) and then tell everyone you're going to do it - there's a lot of incentive to train in order to save face!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Cheap clips and straps aren't very inspiring, but like many things there is a learning curve. It takes a little while to get used to. If you try to get it 3 times and then give up, it's not the equipment's fault. Exactly the same can be said of clipless pedals; and there are things you can do with clips and straps that you either can't do with clipless at all, or only with selected models. E.g. being able to hook your foot in anywhere on your pedal's rotation, and having a fully functional platform to pedal on before you flip.
  • mattbabs
    mattbabs Posts: 86
    You need to get a balance between buying kit that will help you but don't not getting carried away. For example I had a hybrid before I got my road bike. I put Shimano mountain bike SPD pedals on it as clipless pedals do make a big difference. When I got my road bike I switched the pedals over but thought I would get some proper road pedals and shoes. I still haven't done it because my old pedals are fine and I'm not bothered about looking like a proper roadie. Mountain bike SPD pedals also let you clip in on both sides which is handy when you are learning how to use them. It really depends on what style of shoe you want to wear.

Pumps - don't forget that you need to get a proper pump to use at home even if you do decide just to carry CO2 on the road. You definitely need to carry a spare inner tube when your ride distances start to increase unless you've got a support vehicle!

Locks - 2 locks are good if you are leaving your bike unsupervised, but how are you going to carry them? I just have a small lock for cafe stops but keep my bike in sight.

Trolling - it's a beginners forum and you are here to get advice. I don't see how that can be interpreted as trolling.
  • Thanks for some off the kind advice ...stay safe
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    the real spending might happen once you get back round to next autumn/winter now and you realise you need more gear to keep warm. when i ver first started riding i wore very basic gear that wasn't even really for cycling. however once i was bought a magic jersey one christmas that was it, unfortunately i think you do get what you pay for! but only buy when you need (bit like when you buy tools, you only buy when you need rather then forking out for a whole tool kit)
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012