Shimano Rear Brake Caliper Issue?

will_85
will_85 Posts: 84
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently noticed that my rear brake pads were rubbing against my rear disc, despite the cable being quite loose... I tried realigning the caliper, but this couldn't quite solve the problem....

So I took the caliper off to have a look & upon inspection, I can see when the breaking mechanism is operated, only one of the brake pads is being compressed - the other does not move at all.

I presume this is not normal & something is wrong.... Anyone shed any light on this? Its the first time I've ever looked at maintaining disc brakes, so im a bit clueless at the moment. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    For better answers you need to give us more information (like the brake make and model, and whether they're rubbing all the time, or just at one or two places in the rotation).

However, your use of the word "cable" suggests they are mechanical (not hydraulic) brakes, in which case it is completely normal for only one pad to move - that's how they're designed.
  • will_85
    Ok cheers, that clears that up for now, they're mechanical, so no need to worry there then. Am going to replace the pads & brake cable, refit and see how its looking then, see if I can get it running smooth.

Thanks.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Is there an adjuster on the caliper to wind the piston in and out, my daughters has this, if wound in too far it'll cause one of the pads to rub, might look a little like this with the round adjuster in the middle (the part with the c on it)
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    There should be a hex-key adjuster for the pad on the non-moving side, but i don't think shimano typically have a direct adjuster for the pad on the moving side - they just rely on the barrel adjuster to set the cable tension and hence the starting position of the moving pad:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 696761.pdf
  • will_85
    jimothy78 wrote:
    There should be a hex-key adjuster for the pad on the non-moving side, but i don't think shimano typically have a direct adjuster for the pad on the moving side - they just rely on the barrel adjuster to set the cable tension and hence the starting position of the moving pad:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 696761.pdf

That's very helpful, thanks!