Ergon grips

burglarboycie
burglarboycie Posts: 200
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Evening all
I was wondering what people's experience has been with Ergon grips?
I'm finding myself suffering with pains in my hands and wrists after long rides and have heard they can help. Otherwise, what other grips are you finding are the best?
Cheers
James

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I tried them once and didn't get on with them at all. They felt clumpy and like I had less control. I mostly use ESI Chunky now.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Try changing the angle of your seat and brake levers before buying new grips
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    I use Ergon grips, very good too for my own needs and will use again.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    The girlfriend uses them and likes them. My advice would be buy the lock-on version, as the ordinary ones seem to have a tendency to rotate on the bar.

Personally, I don't get on with them, but there's no 'one size fits all' solution, when it comes to bikes!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • I had a problem with trapped nerve similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. Ergon where great . The problems gone but I would use them again if needed. Although the bar ended ones are small they do provide an alternative position for hands.not the cheapest grips so try a few for size.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I'm finding myself suffering with pains in my hands and wrists after long rides
    My missus has these and she finds that the multiple hand positions really help. Our rides tend to be 3 to 6 hours of paths/tracks with occaisional technical interludes.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    I have the same bike and use Ergon GP2 grips. Hands were killing me on the originals so I go all out for comfort and forget about how they look or are perceived by others. Very comfortable indeed, can't recommend them enough. They do not cause me any problems at all when it comes to technical or high speed descents where you really need a strong grip, this is one of the negatives I have read in reviews. I have them on a 25mm riser bar, the cube flat bar was a bit too extreme for me too. Maybe my late 30's age is just showing now!
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I like them for long distance stuff - very comfy. However on more techical rides Im not so keen - rotating / moving your hand seems a bit harder. These are a good compromise for me: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BTOOFLOG/on ... foam-grips
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • andy37
    andy37 Posts: 120
    i had them on a hybrid i used to get about on and got to say they were very good