Surely this can't be normal??

chrisgal
chrisgal Posts: 130
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I was servicing my bike today and on the rear wheel I noticed that their was a ridge below one of the stickers. When I removed it there was a hairline craic all the way across the rim (see photo, you may have to scroll down) but did not appear to affect the braking surface.

When I also checked the front wheel there appeared to be the same crack, again under a sticker but I have yet to remove it.

The wheels are Mavic Askiums. New as of August 2013 and probably about 300-500 miles max on them. Surely this can't be normal, is it?

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Hard to be sure from the picture, but is it the join? Rims start life straight, then are bent into a circle and pinned or welded so there is a join.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Almost certainly the joint. It will also be opposite the valve hole if it's the joint. Take a peek on the inside of the rim with the tyre off and it should be more obvious. If in doubt, have your LBS take a look at it.
  • chrisgal
    Thanks for the replies folks and yes you're correct it does appear to be the joint :oops: Although I didn't expect it to quite so prominent.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    chrisgal wrote:
    Thanks for the replies folks and yes you're correct it does appear to be the joint :oops: Although I didn't expect it to quite so prominent.

That's why they covered it with a sticker! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    You could cover the join with a Mavic sticker :lol:
  • chrisgal
    rayjay wrote:
    You could cover the join with a Mavic sticker :lol:

There's a thought!! :lol: