50mm 11 speed clinchers

richiegwy
richiegwy Posts: 171
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for advice on which 50mm rims to get for racing.
Don't really want to get into tubular and needs to be 11 speed shimano compatible.

Looking at shimano c50 for 1239 euro but would like something lighter if possible.
Had my mind on wheelsmith but he is not taking orders till April 21st

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    FUll carbon or alloy carbon?
    left the forum March 2023
  • I got the last set of wheelsmith race50 c23's(until new stock arrives) but I've not done enough miles on them yet to give a review.

they do look nice. And sound nice under braking though.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • richiegwy
    I'm not too bothered whether they are carbon or alu/carbon. The alu/carbon supposedly have better braking in the wet (I live in Ireland!!) but suffer a little on the weight side.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    richiegwy wrote:
    The alu/carbon supposedly have better braking in the wet (I live in Ireland!!) but suffer a little on the weight side.

They do... for something non disposable I'd consider something like Hed JET... they are basically the Ardennes with a carbon fairing... or the cheaper offerings from Planet X.
    Or you can spend a lot less and get some 30 mm alloy clinchers
    left the forum March 2023
  • richiegwy wrote:
    Looking for advice on which 50mm rims to get for racing.
    Don't really want to get into tubular and needs to be 11 speed shimano compatible.

Looking at shimano c50 for 1239 euro but would like something lighter if possible.
    Had my mind on wheelsmith but he is not taking orders till April 21st

Planet -X have the C50's on sale for £949 at the min.

However , I have just been trying out the 3T Accelero 60.
    It's a little bit heavier than the C50 , but a great wheel in my opinion. The hub (old Cane creek) feels like they don't want to stop and roll forever, especially compared to my Mavic's. Laced with Cx Rays, I'm pretty impressed so far.
    They are on sale in Germany via hibke for €999
    Definitely worth a look.
    Both of those HG11
  • richiegwy
    Thanks for the tip on the c50. Checked it out but unfortunately sold out. I don't want to go any heavier than the the c50s and looking at the Renyolds Assault/strike combination but wondering is a 60mm to bike on the back for road racing?
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Have some C50s for sale, PM me if you want details.

Cheers