Longleat lionheart

hanhamreds
hanhamreds Posts: 100
Hi everyone, so I signed up to ride my first sportive on the 23rd March in sunny Wiltshire.

I've been back on the bike for a few months now after a change of jobs meant i stopped cycling for a couple of years.

so my training has consisted of several 20 and 30 miler's, one 50 and a 60 last week which included a nice climb up and over Dundry.

Does anyone here have any advice for me regarding this Sportive and Sportive's in general please.

Alfreds tower!!??

I'm riding a Boardman CX Team 2014 with 25mm Gatorskins.
On the day i will be taking two water bottles with High 5 zero electrolytes, several energy gels, two inner tubes, pump, CO2 pump, puncture repair kit, energy bars, money.

clothing depends on weather - it's snowed last year!

Comments

• hanhamreds
    Anyone?
  • foxydan
    foxydan Posts: 83
    Hey,

Am doing this as well. You have got more training in than I this year. Got plenty of 20 milers in and last week did a 40 miler but been mainly doing interval work on hills and sprints on the turbo during week. Not worried too much about the distance (doing th 60 miler) as have done this distance many times before just not this year, yet.

I've heard about the Alfreds climb; supposed to be a killer but as long as you take it at your pace it'll be fine. Just hoping weather is going to hold as it has been lovely recently. Nothing better than cycling it weather like this.
  • I will be there as well, doing the long one managed to get quite a few long rides in this past few months (quite a few wet ones)

Looks like it will be quite rolling but once over King alfreds tower does not seem to be to bad.

Nice bit of weather will help quite a bit as well!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    good luck anyone doing this tomorrow that route looks tough and sadly the weather even worse.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hanhamreds
    How did you guys get on today?

Me and my mates really enjoyed it, and two of us even made it up alfreds tower!

Weather could have been better though.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    Did you get hit by the hail storms that were in the area? It was pretty windy too I'd imagine and not warm - a big contrast from the two previous weekends.
  • Cold, lots of hills, hail

Loved it though and made it up everything.....last 30 miles in to head wind was hard
  • hanhamreds
    After the 2nd feed station there was a climb, which was then followed by a long flat and elevated stretch where there was a strong crosswind - that went right through me and I suffered for the last 8 miles or so.

Still enjoyed it all the same.