If not Nokon, then what

meesterbond
meesterbond Posts: 1,240
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Collecting the parts for my new TT build and can't make a decision on cables. I was going to go down the Nokon route (mainly for bling purposes but partly because of the tighter turns required coming out the back of the aerobars) but they're quite a lot of money and do seem like quite a faff.

So what alternatives are there - I've used Gore before, which seem fine and Jagwire have been ok but while I have the time to do the research, what else is out there I should be looking at?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

So what alternatives are there.......

Well, there are standard Campy, Shimano, Sram to name a few. Or aren't those good enough for you?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    DA cables are the nuts.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Alligator iLink are similar to Nokon but cheaper.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Jagwire road racer kits are pretty inexpensive but plenty of bling.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    The lightest is powercordz inner cables with old TUNE housing [no liner needed] if you can get hold of some. [I have loads :lol: ] A lot lighter than mini I links or anything else out there.

Im a weight weenie so weight is all I care about :lol:
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I bought a set of Alligator i-link cables when I had a problem with my campy gears. I still have them unused - the mechanic turned his nose up and expressed a preference for campy original cables. I took his advice and the gears have worked perfectly ever since.

Peter
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    With a TT bike, as long as it shifts completely reliably that is what matters. How the cable feels compared to another cable does become the last thing on your mind when hammering it. Tight cable bends are always worth taking into consideration of course.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have 2 bikes with Nokons and 1 with Alligators - the latter are rubbish, they are too soft and split. Nokons really are fit and forget - nothing else will reliably give you the tight cable turns
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    nokon+powercordz

get the powercordz liner, the nokon liner is not as good
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny