Somewhere good to eat near the Olympic velodrome?

bobinski
bobinski Posts: 570
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
I am taking Ms bobinski and our 2 boys, 8 and 15y to the velodrome tomorrow evening for round 5 of the Revolution race series. We have to drive so will park at the Westfield shopping center, the kind of place i normally avoid like the plague. We want to eat somewhere close by and i just wonder if anyone has any recommendations? The boys have been bred to eat pretty much anything so not at all fussy. We can stay in Westfield to eat but restaurants all seem a bit chainy. I am sure we can cope with that but would be great if there is a gem of a place to eat there or nearby.
Cheers.

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    go into westfield, theres a food area with quite literally every cuisine on option! let your boys each pick something different and then grab a table.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Since you'll already be there, don't be afraid to give Westfield a go, but if you fancy something a bit more exotic, Dalston has lots of Turkish restaurants (I like Red Art or Stone Cave) and Shoreditch/Hoxton has lots of Vietnamese restaurants.

Both areas are on the same road, the A10, and are about 1.5 miles apart. Dalston is a 15 minute drive from Westfield.

If you go to either area, enjoy the people watching!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bobinski
    Ta For the responses. My partner is Greek Cypriot so a Turkish restaurant is going to be a bit tricky :)
    A good Vietnamese is always of interest. Any in particular?

Went with the Westfield option of Busaba Eathai, nice and reliable if a little unexciting.

The velodrome experience though was fantastic. A really great evening of racing. I would highly recommend it.
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    I was there for the afternoon and evening sessions. It was excellent. The highlights for me were:

- Francois Pervis is a total beast and seems completely unbeatable right now. He certainly put Jason Kenny to the sword. Even when Kenny jumped him in the second race, he was very nearly caught.

- Ed Clancy looks very classy on a bike - there's just something about his physique/confidence/posture on the bike that just shout out that he's quality.

- Laura Trott is incredible - but I'm at a complete loss to understand where she develops the power from - there's nothing to her. No big thighs/ big ass etc.

- I was amazed at how engaging the 160 lap points race was - I thought it would be a snorefest but it was excellent.

I have a taster session at the velodrome on Easter Saturday - looking forward to it even more now.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • bobinski
    - Laura Trott is incredible - but I'm at a complete loss to understand where she develops the power from - there's nothing to her. No big thighs/ big ass etc.

yep, she is about the same sise as one of Pervis's thighs!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I was there on Saturday evening too and really enjoyed it. Never been to a velodrome before.

Here's a short video of some of the racing featuring Pervis, Trottski and others. It's just people going round in circles...

(You say you want a) Revolution

and a few pics too:

Planet X track bike
    15-03-2014_05.jpg

close-up on a world track champ
    15-03-2014_12.jpg

ahhhhh! sweet
    15-03-2014_14.jpg

the stare
    15-03-2014_16.jpg
    FCN = 4