OH looking for good commuter backpack- suggestions?

mobilekat
mobilekat Posts: 245
edited June 2014 in The workshop
We moved house recently and now my OH is going to start cycling into work.
I wanted to surprise him with a new backpack as the ones we have are too small to hold the required stuff
This being his work clothes, shower kit and towel, shoes and lunch

any suggestions for a half decent backpack that will last well, and also be comfortable?

have had a look around, but prefer people to suggest ones they know last than rely on manufacturers boasts!

thanks!
Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......

Comments

• tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    My Deuter has been very hardy and reliable, I would recommend one with the "Air Comfort" system if there is any hint of sweat being involved
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    Thanks

Having been into our LBS today they recommended the Altura ones

Have come home with the Sector 30L one, which nicely also came with its own high-vis cover too

Been on a test ride today, with all his kit in, and all fitted, with room left for lunch, and OH says if needed he could get his laptop in too.
    Its got venting etc, so fingers crossed its a good'un

Also if we need to you can shove a bladder into it too

Fingers crossed its a good one, as that was his birthday pressie! :D
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Always been a huge fan of these the last 15 years:
    http://www.timbuk2bags.co.uk/

for cycling and motorcycling (the messenger bags)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Deuter Day one.

Absolutely excellent. Fits everything in it, has a few handy pockets on the outside for wallet/repair kit and has a built in high-viz cover which is also waterproof. Highly recommended from me. Around £35 from most places.

Two things I don't carry on a daily basis are shoes or towel - leave both at work, but it could fit them too at a squeeze
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Depends if you OH is male or female and what size there back is also what they are carrying.
    Found Osprey more comfy than camelbak (and i have had a lot of those) removing the bladder, it's good for work clothes and bits and bobs. Also if they wear a helmet, will the backpack keep on knocking it.

Don't forget the rain cover.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I use a Berghaus Terabyte 30, the d30 is good peace of mind for the laptop but it was rubbish with my camelbak water bag so I had to switch to a bottle.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • sane4sure
    sane4sure Posts: 70
    I'm also looking at getting a new backpack for commuting. From the internet research I've done over the weekend, Deuter seem to get great reviews. I've luckily just bought a used Deuter Cross Bike 18 on ebay for £20 and I'll let you know my thoughts on it once it arrives!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Take it back if you can and buy him a plastic box from B & Q and a smaller satchel.

He leaves all his clothes, wash kit and towel in the box where he works and only commutes with lunch and a fresh towel as and when needed (5 pairs of pants and socks are left in the box, changed once a week).

He'll soon get very miffed off trucking all that jazz in and out of work each day especially when it comes to winter.

Alternatively, if you drive to work and park near his work take everything in, leave it in the car and he picks it up each morning - I would then either do a fly past on a Saturday morning and pick up dirty bits or take them to the car if I went for a lunchtime wonder. Dependant on your finishing times he could drop them off on the way home.

I used to do this with Mrs F.

Anything you can't return/sell set fire to.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.