Belgian loop - to cobble or not?

plymouthpafc
plymouthpafc Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Tour & expedition
I'm putting a 4 day Flanders route together for a group of 12 amateur roadies. We're intending to follow the long distance cycle paths mainly but am considering including a couple of the famous ToF cobbled sections in one day for the challenge and to take in the cycling history. Done a bit of research on the www and it makes it sound pretty risky. Does anyone have experience as a social cyclist of tackling the Kwaremont, Rampe and Paterburg cobbles? Pretty sure we'd all need extra bar tape and 25c tyres but I'd be grateful for anyone's insight based on experience of tackling the famed "pave".

Cheers
Nick

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Flanders cobbles aren't 'that' bad, we cycled them all without any adjustments to our road bikes, including no extra bar tape or different wheels! I say, absolutely go for it! Make sure you have a stop at the cycling museum in Oudenaarde, great café/bar there too.

Some pics on our website.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Thanks very much. Food for thought!