superstar or uber bike floating?

mike hunts alpine
mike hunts alpine Posts: 765
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking to tart the bike up a bit... Spare Bday money and fancy some floating rotors.
Anybody tried the superstar ones or the uber bike ones.
Pros and cone please.
Slightly in favour of ss as they do green and orange ones.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    None. I stick to solid rotors, less to go wrong.

Find something to bling else where
  • I replaced both discs with Uber bike floating on my 29er as I was always having issues with noise and chatter from the brakes.
    Fitted discs in October and have performed faultlessly during all winter, for the money its a no brainer
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Floating rotors are completely pointless and just add weight.
  • Chunkers1980
    edited March 2014
    That's hardly a glowing endorsement.

My solids have being faultless for approaching 10,000 miles and 4 years. I've seen floaters, floating after a few months.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    superstar and uberbike are the same generic Taiwan made rotor.

superstar are £1 cheaper though

personally I find the ice tech rotors more bling than the coloured ones (TBH they look a bit gay)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^ + add issues.

And as I've just agreed with Rockmonkey, look outside and watch the pigs soar overhead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have a pair of Superstar rotors. I did have to file part of the brake caliper down to allow for the extra clearance needed for the rivets attaching the floating braking surface to the central spokes of the rotor. This was a problem with Shimano M446 calipers so might not be an issue with higher model or other manufacturer brakes though and even then it took about 10 minutes to do both front and rear. The rotors feel good though I don't do any long descents which might give them more of a work out
  • Chunkers1980
    You filed a brake caliper down to fit a floater. :shock:
  • You filed a brake caliper down to fit a floater. :shock:
    It's not unheard of
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279

This :D
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Floating rotors are completely pointless and just add weight.

Firstly floating rotors are actually lighter due to the alloy carrier combined with steel braking rotor rather than whole steel rotor.
    Regarding your comment 'Completely pointless' is this based on some quantifiable argument or is it just your opinion.

The theory behind floating discs is well proven (motorcycle technology etc) and whilst I agree it may be overkill for your average rider they do offer a benefit in extreme conditions to prevent warping, so to dismiss as pointless without any justification is perhaps misleading to the OP.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    the op stated he wanted to tart his bike up. Is that what you mean by extreme?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    OP doesn't want their percieved performace benefits, he wants the bling. They are all bling and problems.

They are not actually lighter due to the alloy carrier - they can be, but often aren't and should be taken on a case by case basis.
  • OP doesn't want their percieved performace benefits, he wants the bling. They are all bling and problems.

They are not actually lighter due to the alloy carrier - they can be, but often aren't and should be taken on a case by case basis.

Sorry I took the OP's question of pro's and cons to mean benefits and drawbacks, and that was what I was commenting on.
    In relation to weight I have yet to see a floating disc setup that was heavier than a standard comparable sized rotor but I'll bow to your obvious greater knowledge.

Regarding perceived benefits ,it is not a perception it is a documented fact that floating discs in the majority of circumstances can prevent warping,again though I'll submit to you greater knowledge on this matter.

Oh for the record I like the red ones :D:D
  • Chunkers1980
    There's your problem. Red makes you go faster, with brakes that's not a good thing.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    OP doesn't want their percieved performace benefits, he wants the bling. They are all bling and problems.

CAWT
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Standard rotors can be made lighter than floating rotors - I've seen them at 70g or so for a 160mm.
  • Not fussed about the weight as it would probly be the same weight as if I eat a banana before a ride or not or if I take a protein flapjack With me. Weight is not issue as were probably talking 150g at max (very rough guess) not like putting bricks in my pack to make me faster on the dhs. :lol::wink:
  • Chunkers1980
    Weight is not my real issue with them. They after hit calipers/mounts/fork/frame and they are prone to coming loose at the rivets.
  • In that sense then, arent all shimano CL rotors floating? (Genuine question, not sure what determins a rotor to be floating).

Floating rotors are less likely to warp iirc, super lightweight standard rotors bend like plastic in a microwave.
  • Also, 178g for 203mm rotors is pretty good is it not? Cant see much lighter for the cost or without going for a stupid disk pattern with more gaps than metal.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano rotors with the alloy spider are solid rivets, no 'float'.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148

Firstly floating rotors are actually lighter due to the alloy carrier combined with steel braking rotor rather than whole steel rotor.
    Regarding your comment 'Completely pointless' is this based on some quantifiable argument or is it just your opinion.

The theory behind floating discs is well proven (motorcycle technology etc) and whilst I agree it may be overkill for your average rider they do offer a benefit in extreme conditions to prevent warping, so to dismiss as pointless without any justification is perhaps misleading to the OP.

Superstar 160mm 108g
    Uberbike 160mm 108g
    Hope 160mm 98g

Hates L2 steel disc - 160mm 90g
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    KCNC steel disc 73g

I had some of the lightweight 1.8mm Hope floating rotors. I destroyed both in one race, it was so gritty I wore the pads, then the backing pad, so I was using the rivets to stop. Well outside their usual operating range, so one of those things, but steel rotors would have been fine, if a little scratched, rather than £70 of bin fodder!