Marzocchi ETA Not Working

andyg1966
andyg1966 Posts: 63
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I've just bought a 2nd hand set of 120mm Marzocchi MX Comp ETA 120mm from ebay. Out the box the exposed stanchion was 105mm. I set the ETA to max and the forks extended to 120mm. On setting the ETA back to min and compressing the forks to well over half compression they still extended back to 120mm. I need 100mm ish. Is it likely to just have broken, or I have I missed something.

I have another set of MX Comp 100's and I know how they work for reference.

Any ideas
Trek Stache 8 29er
Orange Five Pro 2011
Rock Lobster Team Ti (Custom) 2010
Whyte Stirling - Hybrid
Southdowns MTB Club http://www.southdownsmtb.co.uk/

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    These are terrible forks with well known reliability problems. The ETA system never worked. They replaced it with the ATA system which was even worse.
    If you get full travel back it wont last long.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    I thought ETA was more of a lock down so every time the fork compresses when activated the fork doesn't return from where it was compressed to - down to about 30mm remaining travel. Thats what my 2004 z1's did anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it being broken your not missing much. You could always properly space the forks down to 100mm?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    andyg1966 wrote:
    Hi, I've just bought a 2nd hand set of 120mm Marzocchi MX Comp ETA 120mm from ebay. Out the box the exposed stanchion was 105mm. I set the ETA to max and the forks extended to 120mm. On setting the ETA back to min and compressing the forks to well over half compression they still extended back to 120mm. I need 100mm ish. Is it likely to just have broken, or I have I missed something.

I have another set of MX Comp 100's and I know how they work for reference.

Any ideas
    Sounds like you have no idea on how the ETA works.

It does not set travel.

It is basically a one way valve that only allows the fork to compress. But it will only go so far in that it will leave 30mm of travel.

Do not use it when riding normally. It is for use on the road or when climbing.

If it is not holding the fork down then two options. Not enough oil in it or someone has used the fork with it turned on and damaged the shims.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown