Another 1x10 question - am I overthinking this?

Festerfeet
Festerfeet Posts: 90
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I would really like some advice about moving to a 1x set up.

I currently have a 2x10 set up on my Ghost Cagua with a 38t and 24t rings. I would like to change 1x10 with NW ring as I rarely use the granny ring especially as my fitness has improved. I am considering a 36 or 34t ring but my concern is that this may change the way the suspension works a little bit.

My bike is not light 31.5lbs but I am pleased the way it goes up hill, very little bob and great traction. So I may not be fast but I can just tractor up most of the slopes that I attempt which are reasonably technical.

So I am pretty pleased the way the rear suspension works at present but would like to use a smaller chain ring. My concern is that as the bike seems to have been designed and optimised for a 38T ring, would I be running the risk of affecting the way the bike behaves when pedalling?

I would really appreciate any experiences from those that have gone to 1x, has it it changed the way the your bike pedals?

Am worrying about nothing?

Comments

• If you can "plod" up most hills using a 38T chain ring I'm sure you'll be fine !

I've just gone 1 x 10 from a 3x10 set up

Nw race face 32T front 11/34 rear bike weight 28lb

See here viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12959391

Also see my other thread "going 1x10" good info in there

Consider why your going 1 x 10 and what else you'll be doing

Reading those threads should answer some of your Q's
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In answer to your question - yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    has it it changed the way the your bike pedals?

Not at all.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I've done it and it doesn't change the way the bike pedals at all.

However, if you are going from spinning up a hill to grinding up, the way you pedal might
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Great thanks for all the reply and reassurance that has been a big help.

I spin up on the 38 most of the time and only very rarely do I ever other with the granny ring. I reckon dropping to a slightly smaller chainring will give me the cogs I use.

I am considering this for simplicity mainly. It is always nice to have less weight but I like the idea of less to go wrong/get damaged and a tidier bar.

I shall have a go once I can source the parts and see how I get on.

Once again thanks for the responses.
  • njee20
    You need to do some racing if you're spinning a 38t chainring on a 32lb bike...
  • Ha ha no I am far to old for all that racing stuff.

But the difference between the 38t and the 24t isn't huge. 1st on the 38t is almost the same as 4th on the granny.

Are you saying you don't spin in 4th on your granny ring?

Looking at a ratio calculator it probably would suit me better to go for the 32t single ring then I am losing one off the top and two off the bottom.
  • njee20
    I've not used a granny for many years, but I don't spin a 36 on a 20lb XC race bike on most climbs!

32 sounds sensible.
  • UKSaffer
    UKSaffer Posts: 8
    I switched to a 11/34 rear, and 34t up front. It does not change the way pedalling feels, but it does change the way the bike feels because when you take off the additional chain rings, you are removing weight from the BB area which in my case, made the bike feel a lot more agile.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Jeez, I have converted my last 3 bikes to 1x10 and can honestly say the weight saved was pretty insignificant for me the average trail monkey although on my latest bike it's been a part of my weight reduction (bike diet) for me it's about one less thing to go wrong, simplicity, aesthetics. I run a 32t hope retainer ring at the front and currently a 36t xt rear cassette, I have preordered a hope t-Rex adapter and will probably then switch to a 34 or 36t front ring. It's a great system and anything that does away with a horrible front mech is a winner in my book