Brake Rotors

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have just bought some new light weigh wheels. I need to buy 2 rotors and bolts for them (6 bolt) but i am not sure which to buy. I cannot find many reviews. I looked at xt/saint icetech as quiet reasonably priced but the have reviews of being heavy.

Im looking for some good light weights ones that dont cost the earth. Im also not sure I unserstand what makes a good or bad rotor or if it makes such a difference?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• lbalony
    POAH wrote:
    not hugely heavy though

Atre they not? Just read a review. One of the very few about.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unless you have the mega light drilled out rotors, performance is nigh on the same for all.
  • lbalony
    supersonic wrote:
    Unless you have the mega light drilled out rotors, performance is nigh on the same for all.

Thanks..
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    KCNC are light and cheap. Personally I found the power lacking a little on the front, so use an Avid G3. The Ashima ones get good press.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The Ashima Airotor's are great depending on what brakes you use. They're ace with all my Shimano brakes but I've heard they can be a bit underpowered with Formula's (different pad shapes). They're also pretty cheap to buy and can be had in lots of different colours if you like that sort of thing.

The Shimano's are pretty damn heavy. I run the RT76's on my DH bike and the Airotor's on my other two bikes. There's no difference in power between the two, just one is far lighter than the other. The Airotor's bend easier than the RT76's but are also easier to bend back into shape. All of my rotor's go out of true (most are from the factory) but none have gone more out of true than the others.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you'll get uneven pad wear with light weight rotors, less pad life and less resistance to heat build up. if all you do is gentle XC then they make sense and a good way to loose a bit of weight over a more substantial disc.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    POAH wrote:
    you'll get uneven pad wear with light weight rotors, less pad life and less resistance to heat build up. if all you do is gentle XC then they make sense and a good way to loose a bit of weight over a more substantial disc.

That's the theory but in practice that's just not the case.

Yes there is less resistance to heat build up and I have got my rotors hot enough for some very loud squealing (done it to others as well though) but they also cool quicker so it does even out fairly well.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's the theory but in practice that's just not the case.

Agreed, no discernible difference at all.
  • lbalony
    Id kike to think im an all mountain gnarly rider. But in reality its more light xc. Cheers for the advice
  • Fitted a 180 ashima to my front and kept avid 160 on back . The ashima just works without me noticing can't say fairer than that and priced well.