Bike Box

Wirral_paul
Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Ok chaps

Well i have decided I may as well buy a new bike box sooner rather than later after costing up the price of hiring and deciding it will soon pay for itself to just buy (got LEJOG in May and 2 1/2 weeks in the Alps / Dolomites in Aug/Sept.

So - the obvious choice is BikeBoxAlan at around £450. However, for a similar price there is the Thule Rountrip Transition which comes in slightly heavier but has a portable workstand built in which looks very useful.

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/bike-carrier-accessories/thule-roundtrip-transition-100502-_-1683469

Has anyone got any experience of the Thule box at all? Recommended??

My bikes are 54cm frame size and i am likely to go over the 20kg weight limit applied by some airlines for bikes, so will pay the little extra (about £10 each way) for"sports equipment" which gives a 32kg limit - so weight isnt really an issue.

Cheers

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I can't comment on the Thule box but do have a BBA. My logic on buying it was that every user and review rated it. Seemed to be the gold standard and my experience with my box so far has confirmed that. I would go with a well proven option.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    In Majorca last week, the BBA was the favourite by some way.

I've used an Evoc semi-rigid for 8 return flights now without mishap, but when we watched the handlers at Gatwick through the terminal window throwing the 20 bike bags/boxes from the plane to the trailer (about 2.5m), I suddenly felt quite nervous about not having a BBA…!
  • Wirral_paul
    flippin heck - dropping them 8ft or so?? Thats just ridiculous!! I've been very much leaning towards the BBA for ages but thought i'd ask given the latest offerings about. Tried and Tested always seems to win out in the end though hey!!

Cheers guys
  • BBA
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Check out the Polaris boxes, getting great reviews.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    ...but when we watched the handlers at Gatwick through the terminal window throwing the 20 bike bags/boxes from the plane to the trailer (about 2.5m), I suddenly felt quite nervous about not having a BBA…!

I respond to most bike box threads with this sort of evidence and always attempt to point members in the direction of a bike box such as the BBA. You can guess what I do for a living from my nick...

PP
  • Wirral_paul
    Thanks for the info Pete - safe to say i'll be going with the BBA after hearing about the treatment that they can get. My bikes are way too expensive to not go for the best in protection - and even then i'll be buying a pack of pipe lagging to cover the frame inside.

Now what colour BBA is the fastest?? Are Campagnolo stickers more likely to see the Italian baggage handlers treat the box with respect?? :D:D