Uh oh !!

Time.to.ride
Time.to.ride Posts: 463
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I am in the middle of converting my double ring set up to a 1 x 10 so i go and find a brand new 34t ring from Blackspire and go home to fit it. I take off the left shifter, cable and front mech, and then take off the crank to take the XT rings off i currently have fitted only to unknowingly attempt to undo the inner ring with the T25 torque bit and end up rounding off the bolts, thinking i had suddenly got a case of Samson with no hair lol i was getting very stressed, i then phone up my mechanic who tells me the reason i cannot undo the bolts is because IT TAKES A T30 torque bit !!! Now i have three screwed up bolts and no idea if the T30 bit is going to find any of the bolt left to grip ???

HELP PLEASE ???

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Try?

Wondering how you got to three though?
  • Yes Chunkers1980 i will be doing that of course, im on about if that does not prevail mate?? I was able to push the T25 bit slightly further into one of the bolts and managed to remove it, however the other three are not so eager to be removed!
  • Chunkers1980
    After trying properly, try and hammer a bigger bit in.

Then cut slots to make to bolt edges
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    How can we help when you've not even tried the proper course of action yet?!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Blame Wiggle then get the drill out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    nicklouse wrote:

Given the position he's already got into do you think a drill would be a safe idea :shock:
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    See that mechanic you phoned? Take the bike to him then ask to watch whilst he fixes it.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • nicklouse wrote:

Hmm very amusing nicklouse lol, and yes 97th choice already have that option. njee20 i realise that mate lol but im looking at the problem and as it looks slightly beyond conventional means, ( although not tried to find out yet i agree)...
    Was just wondering what else would be possible ?

Cheers guys
  • Chunkers1980
    Refer to try and then come back.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Based on this my first advice is to stop doing things, put the tools down and step away from the bike.

Then get yourself the proper tools for the job -the wrong size torx bit will either not go in or will wobble, the right one will fit properly. Try it before you put any pressure on it. Remove any undamaged bolts and put them to one side.

Try the correct tool in the damaged bolts. If this works, ignore the next stage.

Next, very, very carefully drill out each bolt in turn with successively larger HSS drill bits. And by "in turn", I mean do each bolt completely before moving on to the next one. Make sure to clean any swarf off the chainset afterwards.

Finally, do each replacement bolt up to the correct torque using a torque wrench.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    drop some liquid nitrogen on to the bolts and then tap them in to bits :lol:
  • Thanks for the lovely (if not some strange advice) from you all, i succeeded in removing the remaining three bolts with the correct T30 bit, lucky for me i did leave just enough of the star like shape for the bit to attach to.
    Job done, new Blackspire ring fitted and looks lush btw... The set up runs very smoothly and efficiently, very pleased with it!