Holmbury Hill or Leith Hill

SurreyMTBer86
SurreyMTBer86 Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Routes
Hey,

Now the trails have dried out nicely I'm thinking of heading to Dorking (Surrey) on the bike tomorrow. Only thing is I cant decide between Holmbury Hill or Leith Hill for some single track action.

I have explored parts of Leith Hill but never been to Holmbury but I have heard its rather good.

Help Please?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Start from Westcott, head up to Leith (nasty ride), go from there to Holmbury and do Yog Pots and Barry's (not a lot unless you know the unmarked stuff), head down to Peaslake and have an amazing cheese straw or two, head up Pitch Hill - some interesting downhilly (short but steep) stuff off to the right as you get to the trig beacon, go down and go back up Holmbury, aim back toward Leith (have a cup of tea at the tower), aim for the cricket club and the new singletrack to Summer Lightning, then fun down all the way back to Westcott.
    Good day.
    Some of the guys in London Calling ride there every week, and know all the sneaky secret stuff, worth joining in if you want to get to know it better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What he said, at the very least do both of those hills, and preferably include Pitch and/or Winterfold too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I did include Pitch as well, but figured Winterfold might get a bit confusing unless you know where you're going. Also a lot of it is private land and he doesn't like us much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    Aye, good point. Much of Winterfold is in a pretty sorry state at the moment anyway.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    cooldad wrote:
    , aim back toward Leith (have a cup of tea at the tower), aim for the cricket club and the new singletrack to Summer Lightning, then fun down all the way back to Westcott.

Is this the Coldharbour cricket club? If so, I think I get the route

(I'm heading back to the Holmbury youth hostel in the next couple of months, so looking for a slightly longer day in the saddle)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • njee20
    FWIW, the road up to the youth hostel is horrendous, rode up it last weekend, no fecking way I'd drive up there at the moment.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    njee20 wrote:
    FWIW, the road up to the youth hostel is horrendous, rode up it last weekend, no ******* way I'd drive up there at the moment.

Whilst I'm more than happy to say 'I'll have driven worse', I'll put the word out to a few folk that might not read this forum to let 'em know.

Thanks for the heads up!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.