Garmin vs Iphone with strava

wannabecyclist
wannabecyclist Posts: 149
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Just wondering what a Garmin will do that my Iphone doesn't? With my iphone I can mount it in its rain proof holder, put strava on and see my map and record my speed etc. The only downside I have is that when it is remotely bright, I can hardly see the screen.

what can the Garmin do better and extra?

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Pick up and record signal from the included Heart Rate Monitor - although you can do this now with Bluetooth HRM and smart phones,

Pick up and record cadence if you have a cadence monitor.

Last longer between battery charges,

Less likely to break if you have an "off".
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The big difference is in the battery life. Garmin will last for a full ride, iPhone will not. I use an iPhone with an external battery pack, but that means I can't mount it on the stem so it stays in my back pocket and I have a basic computer on the stem.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've used my iphone in my back pocket to record rides for the last couple of years. Its taken me up to 100 miles on occasion - but now the battery life seems to be declining.

Never used it on the bars though.

Garmin will show you what you're doing speed wise and last a long time.

Cons is more expense and you have to download to pc to upload to strava (mine you do anyway).

The phone was fine for me but now I have a powermeter I wanted to be able to see my watts as I ride. Otherwise I'd have stayed on the iphone.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I wouldn't say that battery life is an issue, I've done 100+ mile rides and my iPhone has yet to drop below 67%. The readings are pretty much identical too, but with a Garmin you have the whole package and some plus it's wrapped up in a pretty robust case that can take any weather and a trip down the road.
  • Will a garmin allow me to plan a route and receive turn by turn directions, a la satnav (and if so, which model?)?

I get bored doing my usual circuit and would like to cycle to the seaside or something instead, but hate having to stop to check the map.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    The 8x0 models will do navigation, but it won't speak "turn right at the lights" you just get beeps.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    You get this on screen at turns and junctions.

garmin_edge800-page-navigation_en.jpg
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    You can plot a route and load it to the Garmin 500/510 (and 200?) and get turn prompts.

Plot using ridewithgps.com, check the turnings (cuesheet entires) are correct as some can be slightly off...i use the streetview option to help with this, save as TCX, upload to bikehike.co.uk and check the cuesheet prompt arrows on the map then save it as TCX with the turn warning set at 300ft.
    Copy this TCX into the newfiles folder on the Garmin and then in the Garmin menu (well in the 500 at least) pick Training -> Courses and pick the course and then 'Do Course' option.
    It will then bleep and the turn direction will come up when you are close to a turn (if you didnt set a turn warning then you would be on top or slightly past the turn before the bleep).
    Cheers, Stu
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You'll get sensible elevation data (looking at iPhone data for elevation on something like the Kessock Bridge where the profile is obvious is hilarious) and accurate timings for shorter segments (this is a win-some, lose-some thing) because iPhone accuracy isn't that good.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • duckson wrote:
    You can plot a route and load it to the Garmin 500/510 (and 200?) and get turn prompts.

Plot using ridewithgps.com, check the turnings (cuesheet entires) are correct as some can be slightly off...i use the streetview option to help with this, save as TCX, upload to bikehike.co.uk and check the cuesheet prompt arrows on the map then save it as TCX with the turn warning set at 300ft.
    Copy this TCX into the newfiles folder on the Garmin and then in the Garmin menu (well in the 500 at least) pick Training -> Courses and pick the course and then 'Do Course' option.
    It will then bleep and the turn direction will come up when you are close to a turn (if you didnt set a turn warning then you would be on top or slightly past the turn before the bleep).

Very helpful. Thank you.
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    duckson wrote:

That's very interesting. Had no idea you could do this, cheers.
  • taimur
    taimur Posts: 173
    Have you tried endomondo?

I could be posting newbie comments here since i have never used strava or garmin power meter for that matter but i am surprised to see so much mention strava gets and none of endomondo. What am i missing?

I have been using endomondo since 3 years now. its compatible with all platforms, Blackberry, Android and iOS. allows connection to ANT+ Sensors so i have my rides logged with cyclops powercal ANT+ HRM and garmin GSC 10 speed/cadence sensors. allows for repeating rides from an old route or planning a new route. Supports multiple sports from running cycling to rowing etc.

has a solid online interface and social content. So we have our entire cycling club of 3k people sharing data from rides and interacting online. allows graphical analysis of rides with graphs for pace speed elevation cadence heart rate etc... bests and worsts and so on.. the only thing i think endo is missing is power data
    1996 Cannondale M500 CAAD3 (Hardtail MTB)
    2007 Cannondale F700 CAAD
    2010 Cube Agree SL (Road, retired)
    2011 Cube Litening Super HPC DI2 Frame, with Ultegra Di2 Components
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    taimur wrote:

I could be posting newbie comments here since i have never used strava or garmin power meter for that matter but i am surprised to see so much mention strava gets and none of endomondo. What am i missing?

Strava has cornered the market in "segments" - virtual parts of a ride (usually climbs but others too) where you can compare your time vs others (even on the basis of weight or age). This adds a competitive element and an ability to measure your own progress on certain parts of your ride (especially on a commute).

The social aspect of following other riders and the social network of cyclists that comes with it is very powerful too - especially amongst riders of similar capability who might trade fastest times. It's the only social network (other than forums) that I use.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Some of the data posted on Strava from i phones is incredible, locally there is a KOM for a 17 stone guy who did 63mph up a 15% gradiant hill.

Not sure if that is a reason to switch to Garmin or not as the Garmin data may not quite so sensational!
  • markhewitt1978
    Bozman wrote:
    I wouldn't say that battery life is an issue, I've done 100+ mile rides and my iPhone has yet to drop below 67%. The readings are pretty much identical too, but with a Garmin you have the whole package and some plus it's wrapped up in a pretty robust case that can take any weather and a trip down the road.

Varies with the type of iPhone and how knackered your battery is. My iPhone 4S has past it's second birthday and the battery is basically shot so it won't last long.
  • Yeah my iphone battery isn't great but it still lasts a sportive as long as I turn the wi-fi off. £200+ seems a lot to splash out for now, will wait till my iphone dies and then maybe look, I imagine Garmin prices will keep dropping as the technology improves. But then I guess they will stop making the older ones and the more pricey ones will only be available!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    porker33 wrote:
    Some of the data posted on Strava from i phones is incredible, locally there is a KOM for a 17 stone guy who did 63mph up a 15% gradiant hill.

Not sure if that is a reason to switch to Garmin or not as the Garmin data may not quite so sensational!

My iphone has always been as accurate as the Garmin. Did 17 stone bloke leave his on for a car journey ? Thats usually the answer.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    porker33 wrote:

I lost a few segments to iPhone users. It's because I believe the GPS updates every 8 seconds I think so in theory and win a little luck you could be 7 seconds into a segment before it realises and it will then start the timer, so on a short segment it could hugely affect things.
  • markhewitt1978
    Doubt it's every 8 seconds, more like every second. But then GPS isn't 100% accurate anyway, so yes there will be accuracy errors with very short segments.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Some phones refresh as slow as 10 seconds. It's dependent on the settings in the software of the app you are running in order to save battery. You can do the same with garmin and change it from 1 to 5 seconds in order to increase battery life
  • Speckled
    Speckled Posts: 97
    Battery life! and id be lost without the mapping/turn guidance on my edge 800

I'd rather keep my mobile as an emergency only item, wouldnt want the worry of the battery dying
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    cougie wrote:
    porker33 wrote:

My iphone has always been as accurate as the Garmin. Did 17 stone bloke leave his on for a car journey ? Thats usually the answer.

There is no run up to the hill and it is narrow and twisty...I have a 911 race car that would struggle to make that time over the distance, it would take a very serious superbike.......or spurious data!
  • taimur
    taimur wrote:

Strava has cornered the market in "segments" - virtual parts of a ride (usually climbs but others too) where you can compare your time vs others (even on the basis of weight or age). This adds a competitive element and an ability to measure your own progress on certain parts of your ride (especially on a commute).

The social aspect of following other riders and the social network of cyclists that comes with it is very powerful too - especially amongst riders of similar capability who might trade fastest times. It's the only social network (other than forums) that I use.

Thanks for clearing that up. Pretty sure wndo does all of the above and then some more. It's been !massively updated over the past year.
  • markhewitt1978
    wndo = Endomondo? No it doesn't do segments at all. I use both Endomondo and Strava because Endomono tracks all my walking too.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Speckled wrote:
    Battery life! and id be lost without the mapping/turn guidance on my edge 800

I'd rather keep my mobile as an emergency only item, wouldnt want the worry of the battery dying

This --^
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Admitedly I have an android phone but i got so fed up with the app crashing, and therefore failing to record my ride, that I bought a Garmin 500. Have been very pleased that I did so too, but then I didn't even have a basic bike computer.
  • taimur
    What's your take on bryton 40e and 50e? Pretty tempted to get em with the sale