edited March 2014 in The cake stop
from the band who started it all - the one and only Moody Blues

150x150xSeventhSojourn_zps10f01cf7.jpg

Played on the original NAD 2020 and Dual CS505 with Mission 700 speakers :D

What did you have?

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    King Crimson - in the court of the crimson king, played through the biggest Marshall speakers seen outside of the *Rainbow :D

(*theatre that is, not the optical and meteorological phenomenon that is caused by both reflection and refraction of light in water droplets in Earth's atmosphere)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    from this:

RickWakeman_zps9b3542b4.jpg

to this

countdown_zps726952cb.jpg

what has the world come to :roll:
  • I do enjoy a bit of Prog. The Yes Album is ace. Might go home and dig out some Caravan.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    florerider wrote:
    from the band who started it all - the one and only Moody Blues

150x150xSeventhSojourn_zps10f01cf7.jpg

Played on the original NAD 2020 and Dual CS505 with Mission 700 speakers :D

What did you have?

My setup isn't quite that old. Acoustic Research (AR) EB101 turntable, Musical Fidelity A100 amp (class A) and Epos ES14 speakers. My brother has the amp now, I still have the rest as my second hifi with MF XP-100/XA-200 power amps. (with a Meridian 206B CD Player)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • florerider
    replaced by a Cyrus system some years ago. Now pretty much into classical only.

Still some psychedelic covers though:

death_zpse5fdbc1c.jpg

perhaps this should be a then and now thread too?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I didn't have any fancy kit, just a little record player that i used to plug my headphones in and turn it up LOUD!

But I still enjoyed the music just as much*. I listened to a lot of Yes, Black Sabbath, Hawkwind, Led Zep, Floyd, and Steve Hillage. There was a lot of other too but you wouldn't call those psychdelic.

*In fact I often heard a lot more from my bass-lacking system than those that drowned out all the rest of the music by having the bass so loud. I remember whistleing something one day and my mates couldn't work out what it was. They had the same records but never heard the same music.

The older I get, the better I was.

• graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I remember Rick Wakeman saying he wrote to the NME because they spelled his name "Rock Wankman"

Rick. "You've spelled my name wrong"
    NME. "No we haven't"
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Can't believe that there is a thread on Prog Rock and no-one has mentioned Focus...you infidels!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    what about a bit of Barclay James Harvest? (only because I bought a house of one of them & didn't have a clue who they were when looking at the gold discs on the wall)!
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Rush
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I was going to say prog rock was a load of pretentious, overblown b@llocks but then Focus and Barclay James Harvest got mentioned, and I liked them, but I didn't think they were pretentious though :wink:
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Got Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Fanfare for the Common Man on 7" vinyl but I'm not sure that counts as it is too short and is a rearrangement of a classical piece.

Probably too recent to be called prog rock, I have King Crimson's album, Three of a Perfect Pair on 12" vinyl.

I have a turntable to play side vinyl on, but it's mostly used for ripping my vinyl to hard drive.

On CD, I have Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson, Yes 35th Anniversary compilation and Yes Stories compilation.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Stand Up - Jethro Tull
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Listening to "Seconds Out" by Genesis. At their best, I think.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    Listening to "Seconds Out" by Genesis. At their best, I think.
    Selling England by the Pound is also a nice listen.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • florerider
    Can't believe that there is a thread on Prog Rock and no-one has mentioned Focus...you infidels!

Yup, had their first album too
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    florerider wrote:

Yup, had their first album too

Yodeling and rock - interesting mix
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984

YudedarYudedarYudedarYudedarYudedarYudedarYumpompom
  • pinno
    RonB wrote:

YudedarYudedarYudedarYudedarYudedarYudedarYumpompom

Are you sure you weren't in the band?

BTW folks, RonB makes a rare appearance. RonB: chief designer of the aggieboy basement.
  • florerider
    surprised no one put this one up

kraftwerk_zps44f3906f.jpg
  • Its a genre of music i've never really got into. Give me the punk and new wave bands that followed any day.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    florerider wrote:
    surprised no one put this one up

kraftwerk_zps44f3906f.jpg

Although formed in1970, Kraftwerk are definitely not prog rock.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • pinno
    Are Kraft werk not Bosch Werk Prog Bop bang diddley beep?

I'll get my coat.
  • Hawkwind, saw them at Worthing Assembly Rooms, no Stacia though :(
    The first record I ever bought was Tarkus by ELP, crock of ****,
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Carmen - Fandangos In Space, flamenco prog rock still sounds a bit different.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    It was a grim time

19.+Tales+from+Topographic+Oceans+full+cover.jpeg
  • I was a fan back in the day, saw them live just after Fragile came out. Lyrics were bizarre. Loved the artwork and also bought Greenslade's bedside manners were extra on the strength of the album cover, life was simple back then!
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    I still have Focus 3. Trivia - if I remember, in 1973 Focus were the first band since The Shadows to have two instrumentals in the Top Ten at the same time, ie Hocus Pocus and Sylvia
  • Hawkwind, saw them at Worthing Assembly Rooms, no Stacia though :(
    The first record I ever bought was Tarkus by ELP, crock of ****,

Big fan of Hawkwind, seen them about 5 times since the mid 80's, but wouldn't really call them prog, just ordinary rock awash with synthesizer spacey-ness.

Close to the Edge is my favourite proggy album.
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    Not the 70s or particularly psychedelic but Numberphile did a Pi Prog Rock for "Pi Month":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E36qMxXGo3A

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.