Help with a set of wheels for £200 mark

Northern_Monkey13
Northern_Monkey13 Posts: 79
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi looking at upgrading my factory set of bontranger 26" wheels, Im mainly cycling across tracks and cliff paths at the mo. Ive looked at the maxis Crossrides but just wondered what people with more experiance would recommend around the 200 pound mark.
Thanks

Comments

• Superstar components have a choice of wheels for less than that but probly better than a lot of wheels double the price.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    As above really Superstar are a great option when buying wheelsets. Have look at the link below, without knowing the spec of your current wheelset its hard to make a recommendation.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=40

I guess it will be either QR/15mm front and QR rear, then you need to think on weight vs strength vs cost and which ones are best suited to your bike an riding style . Some people talk about lack of quality on Superstar build but mine have been perfect from day one and they take some abuse. :D
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • I think anythings going to be better then iv got lol
    Right front and rear hubs are the basic shimano M475 on bontrager ranger rims which I'm guessing are the basic rims.
    I'm not doing any stupidly high jumps at the moment. Main routes so far have been road, cliff paths so down steps loose rocks etc and I've entered a couple of xc races (not take seriously at the mo) they've been through fields muddy tracks etc general xc conditions.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There is not a lot wrong with what you've got.

I'd guess they are in the nigh on 2kg range - anything for around that price unless you get a super one off type special will be no less than 1,800g.

Trash what you've got a a while longer would be my advice.
  • brucie45
    I think anythings going to be better then iv got lol
    Right front and rear hubs are the basic shimano M475 on bontrager ranger rims which I'm guessing are the basic rims.
    I'm not doing any stupidly high jumps at the moment. Main routes so far have been road, cliff paths so down steps loose rocks etc and I've entered a couple of xc races (not take seriously at the mo) they've been through fields muddy tracks etc general xc conditions.

Is there any particular reason you want to upgrade, ie do you want to save weight, something stronger etc, as chunkers has hit the nail on the head really. If your dead set on upgrading I would go with something like a Stans Crest on SS Switch hub. Get a Stans tubless kit and convert to tubeless. If you are looking to save weight perhaps looking at different tyre options as the weights in tyres can vary a lot.
  • I was just getting frustrated with the hubs the seem to be able to get the running smooth then after a few miles it's as if they've tightened up as u get a grinding feel when u spin the wheel.
  • brucie45
    Strip down & service, regrease as required. If you don't want to carry out the work your LBS will help and advise if replacements are required while doing it.

I do understand about upgrading though, done it many a time when I dont really need to, it becomes addictive.
  • Chunkers1980
    Service it and make sure the cones are really tight.
  • Yeah I've takin them apart cleaned out, regreased get them smooth tighten up as tight as I feel I can and like i said something seems to happen as after after a trip out they don't run smooth feel grindy.
  • Chunkers1980
    You can buy a matching set of hubs for those wheel for around 30 quid and swap out the internals.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    For a little bit more you can get Shimano XT, they're very nice wheels
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah I've takin them apart cleaned out, regreased get them smooth tighten up as tight as I feel I can and like i said something seems to happen as after after a trip out they don't run smooth feel grindy.
    Are you doing it properly, using cone spanners?
    Properly adjusted cup and cone are smoother and freer running than most cartridge bearing hubs.i
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah I'am. Been searching online tonight and seems like some others have had similar issues!?