Helmet fit.....Keep it clean

ultrarunnerlee
ultrarunnerlee Posts: 55
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Sorry as it feels I am taking over the Road Beginners forum

Just ordered a few new bits from Evan's including a shiny new lid. I measured my massive head at 58cm. The lids come in something like 53-58 and 59-63 I think it is. I went for the bigger size as the helmet I have is a medium and doesn't quite sit on my head properly as with all these things my head is perfectly spherical. Now i've tried on the helmet and to me it feels a bit big, but its comfortable. It might be that I am not used to a Road bike lid as my old one is a mountain bike job. So without sounding too obvious how do you check to make sure it fits ok?
Are most helmet shells the same size and shape? IE The Medium and Large have the same shell but its only the chin strap and the adjustable bit at the back that changes?
I know this seems like a proper dim question but I wasn't sure whether to send it back for a smaller size, and then find out thats too small etc
Thanks in advance

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The shell is a different size for different size helmets. Also different brands and models tend to be differently proportioned. Some are quite round, others more oval. My head measurement is about 60-61cm and my head more oval (i.e. a lot of helmets feel too wide and short).
    I think shoes, gloves and helmets are the 3 hardest things to buy online as a single dimension doesn't really cut it for sizing and fit. I spent months trying on helmets when I bought my current one.

I think you ideally want the smallest helmet size that isn't too small (obvious huh? :wink: )
    In other words you want the cradle to be the part contacting your head without being too tight - no pressure points from the foam shell - especially front and back. You'll also want to allow a small bit extra in case you want to put on a thermal skull cap in winter. However you don't want loads of extra space between your head and the shell either. This will make the helmet less secure, will be less comfortable and will look silly.

The front of the helmet should sit about 3-4cm above your brow (approx 2 finger widths?). With the straps adjusted and closed the helmet shouldn't move around on your head but shouldn't be uncomfortable either.

In your situation it'll be very hard to know if the smaller size will be better or too small. You could always order the smaller one without returning the one you've got then return whichever is the worse fit after trying them side by side. Alternatively try for a better fit in the LBS and if you find something better return the one you got from Evans.
  • Thanks for that,
    I know it seemed like a dim question but when you are not too sure what you are looking for.....I'll have a faff around on lunch and see what I can do. Just got a feeling it might be going back:-(
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited March 2014
    Have you used the adjuster ?
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I am a similar situation. I went for the larger helmet with the adjuster in. In hindsight I wish I had bought a different brand with a closer fit. Try on some others!
  • ai_1
    I am a similar situation. I went for the larger helmet with the adjuster in. In hindsight I wish I had bought a different brand with a closer fit. Try on some others!
    Yeah, it's as much about getting the right brand as it is the right size. Different heads suit different brands!
  • It's going back. Just had a fiddle and if anything it just looks big and a bit daft. So I have gone for different make and a Medium after having a good look through as to what would fit my bonce. I know I can go to bike store but then you end up paying bike store prices etc. Trust me all in my kit cost inder 100£ and my bike 200£ lol
  • ai_1
    It's going back. Just had a fiddle and if anything it just looks big and a bit daft. So I have gone for different make and a Medium after having a good look through as to what would fit my bonce. I know I can go to bike store but then you end up paying bike store prices etc. Trust me all in my kit cost inder 100£ and my bike 200£ lol
    When it comes to helmets they all do the same job regardless of price. The only real difference between a €40 or €300 helmet is style, ventilation and convenience of adjustment. If you order another online there is a risk it'll need to go back too. For a cheaper helmet I'd buy locally. If I was going to splash out and was reasonably confident what I wanted I might buy online.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Helmets, shoes and mitts are things I always buy in a shop. It usually takes me quite a long time to find a fit I think I'm going to be happy with for a 6 or 7 hour ride - there's no way I'd do all that by returning and exchanging with an internet retailer!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I'm not sure why you would go for a larger size than your head measures, don't get that at all. +2 for trying in a shop ..
  • Did went down shop and surprised at prices. Get meself a nice lif that fits!
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I'm looking for a new helmet as well. I agree, you have to go to a shop and try them. Showcasing a shop then buying online is wrong but the problem is shops don't have much variety.

If I go to Evans I can choose between Lauren Garnier, Specialized (but not the Evade) and a few Giro's.

Another LBS has Giro and Kask.

Another Giro and Catlike.

I have a Giro Atmos. Don't want another because the pads wear too quickly. The cheaper ones start to look jummy, the Ionos is barely different in everything except price and the Aeon is too expensive. So Giro is out.

Kask come in limited colours.

Catlike look a bit weird for my tastes.

Specialized look awful to my eye (except the Evade which looks like the best of a bad bunch of aero helmets. God that Giro one...)

Anyway, not enough choice..
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It's going back. Just had a fiddle and if anything it just looks big and a bit daft. So I have gone for different make and a Medium after having a good look through as to what would fit my bonce. I know I can go to bike store but then you end up paying bike store prices etc. Trust me all in my kit cost inder 100£ and my bike 200£ lol

err you ordered though Evans - they wil price match in store to both their website and competitors online prices.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem