Increasing fork travel

izthewiz
izthewiz Posts: 154
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
This is sort of a theoretical question that could become practical if it's easy enough to do, but I'll brace myself for the barrage of "Dumb idea" and Buy a longer fork" responses. I'm happy just to improve my knowledge of part
(in)compatibility.

In a similar way that you used to be able to convert relatively easily between 970/1071/1275 engine on the early Mini Cooper S by swapping pistons/cranks/rods (simplistically put, before you shout "You also need..."), is it possible to improve the travel of a fork over its original spec by mixing and matching just the key components from the same/similar model with longer travel, more cheaply than just buying a longer fork?

For instance, could a 140mm Revelation be increased to 150mm with some judicious part interchanging ? Or an old Pike? I know that some RS forks use carry-over parts from previous models (Rev to Sektor, old Pike to Rev).

What are the key different parts just to increase travel? Uppers? Lowers? Internals? All/some/none of the above? How are they different to the standard items?

I await your wisdom.
Or riducule....
The only bad view from the saddle is of the point of impact rising rapidly to meet you.

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Many forks come in one length but have spacers installed to restrict travel. It really depends on what fork you are talking about but it could be as simple as removing a plastic spacer or swapping a spacer from one leg to another.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Some Rock Shock forks were (possibly still are) manufactured as 'all travel' models e.g. my Recons will work as either 100, 120 or 140 mm travel if you add/take spacers out. I think the procedure for converting them is in the service manual for the forks.

Not all forks let you do this - some models were manufactured with fixed travel to be used in complete bikes by manufacturers.

I'm not sure what the situation is with Fox, Manitou etc. forks.
  • izthewiz
    izthewiz Posts: 154
    Many forks come in one length but have spacers installed to restrict travel. It really depends on what fork you are talking about but it could be as simple as removing a plastic spacer or swapping a spacer from one leg to another
    Cheers for that. I understand the spacer tavel adjustment thing , I was thinking more structurally, such as the Uppers/Crown/Steerer assembly, or the lowers, to up the travel. So for an old coil Pike with 32mm stanchions that originally had 140mm, swap in a Rev 150mm UCS assy and longer spring from maybe a Lyrik, and Bingo (or A&E), a 150mm Pike. Probably not that simple though, as I'm sure someone will be helpful enough to point out (with corrections please....)
    Suggestions also for a 160mm Frankenfork, please. Would 32mm uppers be too twangy?

Iz.
    The only bad view from the saddle is of the point of impact rising rapidly to meet you.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Stiffness would depend on many things, I've got an old set of Manitou Nixon forks that are 32mm stanchions and 160mm travel and don't feel flexy at all, they're not overbuilt either at under 1.9kgs
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    izthewiz wrote:
    This is sort of a theoretical question that could become practical if it's easy enough to do, but I'll brace myself for the barrage of "Dumb idea" and Buy a longer fork" responses. I'm happy just to improve my knowledge of part
    (in)compatibility.

In a similar way that you used to be able to convert relatively easily between 970/1071/1275 engine on the early Mini Cooper S by swapping pistons/cranks/rods (simplistically put, before you shout "You also need..."), is it possible to improve the travel of a fork over its original spec by mixing and matching just the key components from the same/similar model with longer travel, more cheaply than just buying a longer fork?

For instance, could a 140mm Revelation be increased to 150mm with some judicious part interchanging ? Or an old Pike? I know that some RS forks use carry-over parts from previous models (Rev to Sektor, old Pike to Rev).

What are the key different parts just to increase travel? Uppers? Lowers? Internals? All/some/none of the above? How are they different to the standard items?

I await your wisdom.
    Or riducule....

To use your Mini example. Yes no maybe it all depends on what you start with and what year the parts are.

And with forks it also depends on who they were made for, eg some Reba forks were made with recon internals which means a Reba service kit is no use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown