SLX M657 brakes pads...

taffygriffiths
taffygriffiths Posts: 186
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
so.... the resin pads supplied with my new SLX brake set didnt have the very best of life, and started showing massive wear after one ride in out horrendous weather lately...

i ordered some superstar sintered pads, but due to no stock, they sent me kevlar pads...

first ride, these seemed fine, but lately, ive found that are glazing massively, with no power, leading to a smoking rear caliper on one descent!

now... superstar are out of sintered pads untill may... :(

whats a good alternative sintered pad?

EBC gold?? http://www.merlincycles.com/ebc-disc-brake-pads-sintered-53403.html seem a tidy price?

Shimano sintered? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xtr-m985-disc-brake-pads/rp-prod61811 bit more money?

any opinions? cheers!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    any opinions? cheers!
    At the risk of upsetting you, learn to stop dragging the pads, it's a sure fire way to glaze them have them ON or OFF only.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anybody with constructive advice?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Uberbikes, Carboncycles. All the same as SS AFAIK.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Anybody with constructive advice?

you were given constructive advice :wink:

buy some uberbike sintered or race matrix pads
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Uberbike pads are very good.
    The comment about not dragging brakes was a good point, thats the usual cause of glazed pads.
  • thanks for the pointer to uberbike! ill have to get some to try!

as for dragging the brake... the kind of local riding round here, is steep, technical trails, and being new to a lot of them, i dont really have much choice or bravery... it is what it is!

im fine in places like bike parks etc where the trails are more flowy and smooth..
  • cooldad
    I'm sure he can find some suitable pads within the UK.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Are brake pads a good enough excuse to go to Oz on holiday??? :-p

Ordered some uberbike sintered today. Will see how they go!

Thanks for the pointer!
  • cooldad
    Are brake pads a good enough excuse to go to Oz on holiday??? :-p

Ordered some uberbike sintered today. Will see how they go!

Thanks for the pointer!
    The women are enough of an excuse, unfortunately there are also the cyds.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Yes but here in civilisation we actually have shops, real and online.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • deffinately an improvement in braking! seem pretty good these uberbike pads!!

and from the same Isle aswell! :wink:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cyd190468 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    If you're purchasing online, why does the location of the shop matter? :? You click the yellow button and stuff comes in the mail. :wink:

because you can get a set of sintered pads for £7 with next day delivery from uberbike or superstar. why would you entertain the purchasing of pads from Aus or anywhere else abroad.
  • cooldad
    POAH wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    If you're purchasing online, why does the location of the shop matter? :? You click the yellow button and stuff comes in the mail. :wink:

because you can get a set of sintered pads for £7 with next day delivery from uberbike or superstar. why would you entertain the purchasing of pads from Aus or anywhere else abroad.
    And free Haribo.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    as for dragging the brake... the kind of local riding round here, is steep, technical trails, and being new to a lot of them, i dont really have much choice or bravery... it is what it is!

Controlled, planned braking gives a lot more control than dragging brakes. You will have more grip and your suspension will work better.
    Speed is your friend.
  • as for dragging the brake... the kind of local riding round here, is steep, technical trails, and being new to a lot of them, i dont really have much choice or bravery... it is what it is!

Controlled, planned braking gives a lot more control than dragging brakes. You will have more grip and your suspension will work better.
    Speed is your friend.

Im not into speed.... id rather some charlie! .... :wink:

but... I'm trying! :P
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I ran the Uberbike pads,in the wet the screeched like hell,i then went onto Shimano pads an it made a hell of a difference,i suppose you get what you pay for....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie