Campy Centaur brakes vs FSA Gossamer

Pedro77
Pedro77 Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I am new to the forum.
I have a Wilier Triestina with the Campy Centaur groupset. I am looking to replace my FSA Gossamer brakes for the Campy centaur ones. Am I downgrading or upgrading the part? I am a bit new to this road cycling so not too sure about FSA components. The brakes I have are generally ok but I find I have to adjust the centering a bit too often on the rear brakes. I am hoping that campy centaur will be a bit better in that respect. Main change is so my bike becomes a full centaur groupset. Looking to change the cranks at a later stage too as I have FSA as well on the cranks.

It is not a matter of need to change... But you know how it goes with road bikes! :)

This is my second bike following a Giant TCR composite, not used much, love the Willier, very comfortable bike to ride and prefer the campagnolo drivetrain to the shimano 105 I had on the Giant.

Thanks in anticipation for your advice
Pedro

Comments

• Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Must say I don't find centaur brakes anything special. I don't have much to compare them too however, nor do I know about the Gossamer series. Have you tried some better brake pads, either Swiss stop or kook stop? As I found this did give the brakes an edge. Might be a cheaper option too
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I have FSA (Wilier branded) calipers on my Izoard. I have just rebuilt the bike with a mix of Chorus and Athena 11 speed - I left the brakes because they work absolutely fine. I would say that coupled with Swiss Stop pads ( I have the black ones) they are better than the Veloce brakes on my other bike. If I were you I would look to spend money elsewhere.
  • Pedro77
    Pedro77 Posts: 59
    Thanks for that, I will try to change the pads and see if it works better, main problem is centering of the calipers that seems to go out at times, perhaps a tiny bit of thread locker ok the centering screw will help.

I don't seem many Wilier bikes but I must say I am really please with my GTR, mostly because I had it fitted properly I guess.

Pedro