Shoes rubbing on derailleur

jblewi
jblewi Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

My shoes rub on what I think is my front derailleur, my overshoes have had a hole worn in them which is annoying but I can cope with, now my shoes are taking the damage though which I can't afford to have holes in. The wear is on the heel, not on the side though but further round towards the back. It tends to be when I sprint I think, my pedals are time xpresso and my feet are size 11. Does anyone else have this problem? Any tips for stopping it? I have tried tweaking my cleats but that hasn't solved it and moving my heel further out means my riding position isn't comfortable.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Sounds odd. But, if it is true, you could use speedpplay pedals then adjust the cleat so that the amount your heel can float inwards will stop at the point you want it to.

I doubt you are hitting the front mech, you could be clipping the cable that is poking out of the top of the mech, this cable can be bent out of the way. ...or... your heel could be clipping the chainstay, take a close look at the chainstay for evidence of this. The speedplay suggestion above could stop this, or a cleat with less float and/or rotation of the cleat on the shoe could stop it happening.

Try clipping the shoe on its own into the bike, forcing the heel in and turn the pedal round and look where it is rubbing and to what, and then suss it from there.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mfin wrote:
    Sounds odd. But, if it is true, you could use speedpplay pedals then adjust the cleat so that the amount your heel can float inwards will stop at the point you want it to.

I doubt you are hitting the front mech, you could be clipping the cable that is poking out of the top of the mech, this cable can be bent out of the way. ...or... your heel could be clipping the chainstay, take a close look at the chainstay for evidence of this. The speedplay suggestion above could stop this, or a cleat with less float and/or rotation of the cleat on the shoe could stop it happening.

Try clipping the shoe on its own into the bike, forcing the heel in and turn the pedal round and look where it is rubbing and to what, and then suss it from there.

Speedplays probably won't achieve anything that can't be done with other pedals. I'd agree with you on the cable though - but even that doesn't easily explain how the damage is on the back of the heel.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jblewi
    jblewi Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply.

It's definitely the derailleur it's hitting, I've checked the chain stay for clean marks and there's none, plus the amount of damage happening it must be something sharper than a chain stay or the cable. The hole is bigger than a 50p!

Thanks for the pedal suggestion, I figured there must be something out there with less float.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ok remember if you rotate the cleat you can simulate less float to the inner side. You can also get cleats with less (or no float) for most makes of road pedal.

You probably have something odd about the way you pedal compared to most to be able to do this, but that is making a few assumptions. For instance, I could attach a shoe to my pedal (look keo max) and do my damnedest to get part of the heel to rub the front mech, and it won't happen, not will the grey cleats installed dead straight, impossible.

I'm sure with a bit of investigation you should be able to suss out what is going on.

Edit, I have just read the 'around the back of the heel' again. Put a shoe into it and go looking for what it could possibly be, this is the best advice I can think of.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    pop some pedal extenders twixt pedal and crank arm. This will put your foot further away without changing the angle of the foot.