Specialized OSBB compatibility.

pjb
pjb Posts: 41
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Can anyone tell me what crank/chainsets, other than Specialized, will fit a 2014 Specialized OS bottom bracket, and what adapters if any are needed, and what's involved in fitting - any problems?
Confused.com.

Comments

• DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    An alternative to the cups (which creak) if you want to use a shimano crankset is to run the Praxis Works kit http://praxiscycles.com/pages/conversion I run it on my frame and it is silent.
  • pjb
    pjb Posts: 41
    Thanks guys.
    DHA987 S - where did you get your Praxis kit and is it a Specialized frame ?
    Anyone had experience of these:- http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BBSRPFKCNC/ ... 30-adapter ?
  • DHA987S
    Sorry for late reply.

I got mine via my LBS and it is fitted to a roubaix SL4 frame.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    C-bear adapters and bearings are another alternative.
  • Tiberius007
    Tiberius007 Posts: 195
    DHA987S wrote:
    Sorry for late reply.

I got mine via my LBS and it is fitted to a roubaix SL4 frame.

Hi

I too have the SL4 frame and would like to update at some point. I have seen the Praxxis adapter which seems to get the best reviews for conversions to full Shim groupsets. I currently have the full Sora groupset on my SL4 do you know, will I still need an adapter if I upgrade to say Shim 105? Or is the fact that I have the Sora groupset mean it already has some sort of adapter installed.

Cheers
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    Good question Mr Tiberius, my Roubaix has a FSA glossomer pro fitted which I am quite happy with at the moment but would think about switching to Ultegra when I've had value for money out of this one.
    Looking on the Spesh website comparing my model to yours it states that they both have OS integrated sealed bearings, yet yours obviously take a Shimano crankset and mine a normal BB30 crankset.
    There is either a adapter involved or possibly some special crankset made for that model.
    Can anybody shed any light on this ?
    Good thinking Mr Bond..............007.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • DHA987S
    Hi

The frames come with some adapter cups that fit on the pedal axle, these then sit against the frame to make it all fit if that makes sense? (The specialized BB width is narrower than the shimano axle). So you should be able to fit the 105 without changing anything.

I used the adapter cups when I got the bike and they creaked straight away. Switched to praxis and it has been far better. There is a slight click but I think the bearings just need some grease as it has just started and the bike was ridden all winter.
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    Thanks for clearing that one up DHA, obviously they could be another alternative to converting to Shimano crankset without changing bearings, but they sound pants and you still get the creaking problem possibility.
    I am all for innovation but the problem with bikes, is lack of common sizing in all components making it a minefield when wanting to change/upgrade anything.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Tiberius007
    Thanks guys.

having looked on the interweb this morning and looked at my set up, it looks like i have some cone type adapters fitted which is allowing the Sora to be fitted to the Spesh OSBB.

Not had them creaking that I can tell but then again I have not been powering up mountains, not yet anyway. I hope they are not going to be problematic on this groupset. :(

More research required I think.
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    DHA987S wrote:
    An alternative to the cups (which creak) if you want to use a shimano crankset is to run the Praxis Works kit http://praxiscycles.com/pages/conversion I run it on my frame and it is silent.

ive got this on a tarmac, excellent bit of kit - fit and forget!
  • Tiberius007
    Marcusww wrote:
    DHA987S wrote:

ive got this on a tarmac, excellent bit of kit - fit and forget!

Thanks mate,that's good to know. Assume it was as easy to fit as it appears from the narrative?

Not looking to fit this right now, but good to know it works for at least one Spesh rider. I can now wait for a suitable offer on a Shim groupset upgrade throughout the year knowing that this Praxxis adapter should do the trick for what I want to do.

Not in a rush, the current spec is perfectly functional for the time being. :-) Thanks again.
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    Yes fairly straight forward, it seems you have to tighten these to a high degree - I did not tighten mine hard to start with and had to re do it as I had a slight gap on the Drive side, there will be a gap on the none drive side once fitted correctly but there is a rubber spacer supplied to take up this gap.

The actual mating surface between the shimano crank axle and the praxis is in the form of plastic flanges. It amazes me how these take so much load without distorting or wearing. This was the same with a standard Ultegra BB.
  • Tiberius007
    Marcusww wrote:
    Yes fairly straight forward, it seems you have to tighten these to a high degree - I did not tighten mine hard to start with and had to re do it as I had a slight gap on the Drive side, there will be a gap on the none drive side once fitted correctly but there is a rubber spacer supplied to take up this gap.

The actual mating surface between the shimano crank axle and the praxis is in the form of plastic flanges. It amazes me how these take so much load without distorting or wearing. This was the same with a standard Ultegra BB.

Thanks Marcus, having done some further reading it seems too good to be true, so good to know you have had a successful result with it. So I will just watch the plan unfold over the rest of the year, make the necessary purchases, and this time next year should have an upgraded groupset :-)