Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

FishFish
FishFish Posts: 2,152
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I know that UK brakes (right is front, left is back) differ from some - maybe European, - does this cause a problem when buying a set of hydraulics which have hose, calliper and brake connected or can you change the bar clamp to suit right or left handed use.? Do other countries have the rear shifter on the left. I noticed that my sram cassette shifter was set up for left handed operation.
...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:

Comments

• Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    Some brakes have a flip flop design so can be mounted either side, avid and hopes. Others such as shimano can only be mounted on one side, but changing hoses is a doddle to get them how you want them.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Brakes vary but as far as I know shifters are always left for front and right for rear.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Agreed, shifters are never the other way around, although you can set Di2 up to be that way if you're so inclined.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    Agreed, shifters are never the other way around, although you can set Di2 up to be that way if you're so inclined.
    Actually Gripshifts can be set up the 'wrong way round' as well, a friend who can't use his right hand to change gear effectively has the rear shifter as a gripshift on the left.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    FishFish wrote:
    I know that UK brakes (right is front, left is back) differ from some - maybe European, - does this cause a problem when buying a set of hydraulics which have hose, calliper and brake connected or can you change the bar clamp to suit right or left handed use.?

If the brake levers are not reversible, then most (decent) online stores will at least state which way round they are set up for (ie "right hand -front") or, better still stock both options and give you the choice - see options on this listing:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod108802
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Rookie wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Actually Gripshifts can be set up the 'wrong way round' as well, a friend who can't use his right hand to change gear effectively has the rear shifter as a gripshift on the left.

Yes sorry I should have said that they aren't that way by default. You can do it with friction shifters too.