Shimano Ultegra 6700 chainset questions

adey8ball
adey8ball Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Workshop
hi all

Just a few questions that i would appreciate your knowledge and oppinion on.

is the chain on this gearset directional? are all 10 speed chains directional or not?

What sort of distance would you expect this chain to last if looked after. (lubed before each ride, cleaned weekly at least, minimal use in wet conditions)

also might it be advantageous to buy a second chain and swap between each chain roughly every couple of hundred miles to prolong the life rather than use chain till it wears and change it for a new chain.

your answers will be much appreciated

thank you

adey

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I don't think shimano 10 speed chains are directional, but it should be obvious from the chain.

How long it lasts varies a lot from user to user.

Don't bother swapping between two chains. Just buy a chain checking tool and change it once it reaches .75

Do you already have an Ultegra chain? If not, then I would buy a KMC chain over a shimano one because the quick links make life easier.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    shimano 10sp chains from 5701, 6701 and 7901 up are direction and its not obvious at all, you need to have a look on shimano tech docs, but basically, the slotted plates face the inside of the bike.
    Shimano KMC Q links can be used on any shimano chain.
    KMC 10sp chains are not directional.

I change chains every 1500 to 2k ish miles, not because they are worn out but it saves on cassettes, which are 3x the price, I also don't want a broken chain.
    swooping chains every 500 miles could be a good idea, chance to clean/lube properly and inspect the bike regularly, not necessary though.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    the directional shimano chains have the writing on the outside of the chain only IIRC

no point swapping a chain, buy a chain wear tool, use it till worn, replace. as above will get about 3 chains to a cassette then