Going back to a Hardtail?

paulbox
paulbox Posts: 1,203
edited March 2014 in MTB general
Anybody gone back to riding a hardtail after a bit of a gap in the world of FS?

Would like to hear how you found it after riding a FS bike for a while really.

I've got an urge to buy a new toy. I've never owned a carbon framed bike before or a 29er so I thought I might get either a Yeti ARC or a Santa Cruz Highball Carbon to scratch both of those itches in one go. I rode my old GT ally hardtail for many years before switching to an Anthem in 2010. I remember the improved comfort, traction and handling over the rough stuff, but I was comparing a pretty good FS bike with some very old HT technology.

Ideally I'd just try some out, but it is proving to be pretty difficult to get hold of any demonstrators in my size (XL or XXL for the SC). And it's a bit too much wedge to blow on a bike that I might not enjoy riding.

Advice greatly appreciated, Paul.
XC: Giant Anthem X
Fun: Yeti SB66
Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Buy a cheap/secondhand aluminium frame (26" HT frames are peanuts at the moment) to build up with the parts from your Anthem.
    Play around on that for a bit to see if riding FS has spoiled you, or if you could actually see yourself go back to HT fulltime. Then, if you decide to splash the cash on a 29er carbon jobby, at least you'll notice the benefit - it won't feel like a step backwards.
    Either way, you can build your Anthem back up afterwards, either to ride or sell.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    I did it, purely as I wasn't impressed with my FS, maybe I could of changed the FS for another FS I could of been happier with but something just kept luring me back to a HT. I wanted a do it all bike, so went for an aggressive hardtail type bike (check sig). Now it does anything from commuting to light DH runs. I love the simplicity, less maintenance and the fact there is less to go wrong, not to mention how it rides. The only thing I can honestly say I miss is the comfort on a FS. Having said all of that my next bike will probably the right FS while keeping the HT.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have both.
    I built a HT(130mmtravel) about 3 years ago having not owned one for over 10 years.I probably ride the HT slightly more than the FS(due to who I'm riding with lately) but wouldn't be without either 8)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a hardtail, I bought a FS and to be honest for UK riding I prefer my hardtail, less nonsense and faff - My HT is currently in UK so I was riding my FS in BC in November (before the snow) and its fine and enjoyable (because riding a bike is enjoyable) but I will be selling it soon, along with my DH bike - I will likely buy something to replace it (new Heckler or Bronson are top of list) but will bring my HT back with me! HT will be my everyday valley trail bike.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paulbox
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Buy a cheap/secondhand aluminium frame (26" HT frames are peanuts at the moment) to build up with the parts from your Anthem.
    Play around on that for a bit to see if riding FS has spoiled you, or if you could actually see yourself go back to HT fulltime. Then, if you decide to splash the cash on a 29er carbon jobby, at least you'll notice the benefit - it won't feel like a step backwards.
    Either way, you can build your Anthem back up afterwards, either to ride or sell.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. Not planning on getting rid of anything, this would be a +1 to my n :wink:

I know what you're saying though, but I don't think a cheap ally 26er will be a good enough comparison to see if I'll enjoy riding a good quality carbon 29er.
  • paulbox
    brucie45 wrote:
    I love the simplicity, less maintenance and the fact there is less to go wrong
    That is one of the other reasons I've been thinking about a hardtail for the winter. Bearing replacements, shock servicing etc. are a bit of a bore. The idea of maintaining a 1x10 (or 11) hardtail just sounds fantastic. I used to love spending hours tinkering with my bike, stripping it down, cleaning, lubing it. Now I enjoy riding more and even hosing them off afterwards is a PITA. But do I enjoy riding more because it is a FS?
    brucie45 wrote:
    The only thing I can honestly say I miss is the comfort on a FS.
    That's my worry...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Did the switch last August. Just got totally bored with the Canyon Nerve FS and wanted something a bit more involving and less maintenance. Got a carbon Vitus Rapide 29er HT its fast and handles really well but three hours rattling around Lee and Cragg Quarries last sunday and my calves and back were on fire. I was wanting sit down and let suspension float me over the rocks but 99% of the time I dont miss it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Always got both on the go, the hardtail gets ridden the most. The entire sport of cycling is about making things needlessly difficult for yourself after all
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I got both - I like them both in different ways, is nice to change between them as you quickly thrive again on the positives.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Just done it, ridden FS almost exclusively for 8 years, now got to a 29er hardtail. Impressed, not as much of a change as I'd expected quite honestly. How much of that is the 29er ness and how much is the improvements in hardtails I don't know.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Got a FS and a HT, nice to have both to switch thing up a bit and means I have a spare bike if one is of the trails for a while. Also means I can use the hardtail in winter and not have to worry about the bearings and shock on the FS, given that's just cost me the best part of £300 for a full fork/shock/bearing/linkage service having the hardtail could save me money in the long run.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For me I prefer XC hard tails as the bike feels better over the trails and they are simpler bikes. Full suspension took away the feeling of the ride for me. Other people would have the opposite view
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sometimes you think maybe a hardtail's not the ideal choice... If you recognise where this is...

10122325403_aa354e3768_b.jpg
    Image1 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

What I find is there's hardly anything I've ridden on a bouncer that I won't do on my hardtail- big drops on the matador at innerleithen are one, frexample- but, there's quite a lot that I had to do first on the full suss, before I could do it on the hardtail. Basically about feasability studies ;) It's great to have both, I love the way the same trail can feel totally different on a different bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    In the last three days I have taken three different bikes out on the same short route. The Zaskar Carbon - well nothing I have climbs as quick as that, nor accelerates. It is like a missile. But nervous on the way down. the next day I took the Stumpy. I loved the lazy being able to sit and pedal, the extra grip, and it ripped round corners where the zaskar would be braking early. However it bobs, and the pedals bottom out. Today I took my older Zaskar Team. It was harsh, it was nervous, but god, it was fun! 600mm bars and an 75mm stem! Felt like BMX compared to the others!

So what is best? None of them. They are all different, and all have their positives. And negatives!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    only time I'd use a hardtail is if the surface was smooth - I don't ride my FS on the road with the compression dialled up because its bumpy as fuck
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Must say I was surprised how bumpy the ride wasn't on my hardtail, or indeed how smooth it was. I'd expected to get a bit of back ache on the first couple of rides, but done a few 40 mile Surrey Hills rides with no discomfort at all.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    supersonic wrote:
    In the last three days I have taken three different bikes out on the same short route. The Zaskar Carbon - well nothing I have climbs as quick as that, nor accelerates. It is like a missile. But nervous on the way down. the next day I took the Stumpy. I loved the lazy being able to sit and pedal, the extra grip, and it ripped round corners where the zaskar would be braking early. However it bobs, and the pedals bottom out. Today I took my older Zaskar Team. It was harsh, it was nervous, but god, it was fun! 600mm bars and an 75mm stem! Felt like BMX compared to the others!

So what is best? None of them. They are all different, and all have their positives. And negatives!

This. All bikes are good. Well mostly :shock:
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    I like my HT 26er, but find that I can't pedal over choppy (cobblestone) ground & this is where my mates on FS bikes gap me. But I like the direct drive when climbing & the feeling of keeping up & passing FS bikes when it happens.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.