Seizing up suspension forks (on purpose)

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I reckon he's a roadie who's wandered over to have some fun.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rubez
    rubez Posts: 323
    "I must say I am loving the rigids, I ran XC last night with lights on totally forgot I had rigid forks on, loved it, I'll never go back to soggy weighty suspension"

This.

Stop trying to sell me apples when I'm explicitly looking for oranges. Go preach elsewhere.
  • 97th choice
    but never mind the weighty. You aren't looking for apples or oranges my dear, you appear to be shopping for turds.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't preach to sell anything.

What you're being 'told' is commonly regarded fact. Save for the few nut jobs in the world. Like the guy on the tube last night who appeared to be talking to himself and had no less than 4 wrist watches on the same wrist.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Like the guy on the tube last night who appeared to be talking to himself and had no less than 4 wrist watches on the same wrist.

Sheepsteeth?
  • rubez
    God is reported as fact in certain circles also. Guess what? Not real.

Rigid forks exist for a reason. Are you saying the manufacturers are deluded? Or the millions of people who have them fitted are stupid?

Enjoy riding over lots of bumps? Good for you, go get an ultra springy suspension fork to help you not fall off like an invalid.

I don't need or want suspension. It ruins my bike.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    They're Suntour XCM 100mm. So you'd need 44.5mm upwards if replacing with rigid forks and don't want to drop the frame or handle bars (46cm is better for that, even with riser bars).

Unfortunately, the XCM's are spring based forks so you don't even have the option of pumping the air chamber up to some ridiculous PSI to keep them near rigid. Even the hardest spring you can buy will still have a certain degree of bounce in them (because it would never occur to manufacturers to make a fork spring that doesn't compress).

And frankly, dismantling a fork to turn it into a rigid is more work and effort than fitting a rigid fork instead.

I have four rigid mountain bikes. But that's because i don't really need the suspension (only ride Dalby, roads and the Scarborough to Whitby cinder track) and find large volume tyres with low PSI's more than adequate for what i need. That and i like the weight savings and handling characteristics. But if your riding around trails hard enough to blow off the lock out mechanism on that XCM fork then it suggest that you probably DO need suspension to some degree (or risk breaking your handle bars).
  • 97th choice
    rubez wrote:

Rigid forks exist for a reason. Are you saying the manufacturers are deluded? Or the millions of people who have them fitted are stupid?

Enjoy riding over lots of bumps? Good for you, go get an ultra springy suspension fork to help you not fall off like an invalid.

Have you any videos of your riding, we could all learn a lot from your skillz.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rubez
    edited March 2014
    @Ouija WTF is this? A useful reply?! :shock:

OK, thanks. I'll need to get some rigid forks. Was just exploring the idea.

Can anyone tell what ones CubeCrazy exactly has used in that picture? They look like they fitted perfectly.

They appear to say KINGDOM on them... who have a site :D

Checking it now... site is down, GREAT!
  • 97th choice
    Ouija wrote:
    They're Suntour XCM 100mm.

If that's all he's ever ridden he probably has no idea what a proper suspension fork rides like.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Chunkers1980
    rubez wrote:

Yes, like said, nut jobs

Rigid forks exist for a reason. Are you saying the manufacturers are deluded? Or the millions of people who have them fitted are stupid?Not at all. They are used for a reason, to save weight when not totally needing a suspension fork to make you faster, more confortable or to give greater control. This forum is specifically mountain bike and therefore advice given is in the context of where a mountain bike should be used

Enjoy riding over lots of bumps? Good for you, go get an ultra springy suspension fork to help you not fall off like an invalid. Yes, mountains are lumps, it all goes hand in hand

I don't need or want suspension. It ruins my bike. this is your opinion, everyone but people who are nut jobs gets it
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    @Ouija WTF is this? A useful reply?! :shock:

OK, thanks. I'll need to get some rigid forks. Was just exploring the idea.

You were told about 50 forking times to buy rigid forks!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    rubez wrote:

Really? From your original post it appears that you ruin your bike: only ridden 6 times and broken spokes, buckled wheels, rubbing brakes and a failed attempt at bleeding the front brake.

By the way, Ouija gave you the same useful advice about 3 weeks ago. You ignored it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rubez
    I was exploring my options. Bet you're one of those people who get rail-roaded into buy a new car from a dealer with the promise of some free mats :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    rubez wrote:

Er, no he's not. This is an MTB forum, therefore, like said, things are recommended on that basis.
  • JBA
    rubez wrote:

No. They are road bike forks.

Let's start again shall we?

You want rigid forks to replace the (pretty poor) suspension forks on your bike: Fine, that's up to you.
    Now, Ouija has given you detailed advice on what size forks you'll need so all you have to do is identify your budget and people may point you in the direction of suitable forks.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA
    rubez wrote:
    Bet you're one of those people who get rail-roaded into buy a new car from a dealer with the promise of some free mats :lol:

Care to explain the logic behind that?

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
  • rubez
    Dear god. He even quoted it. Here, i'll quote it again, for the third time. "Was just exploring the idea".

This thread was about if you could realistically convert a suspension fork into a rigid one. Only about two people gave useful answers.

The rest of you derailed the entire thread, and decried my use of rigid forks like little girls - trying to justify your own kit. Different people have different set ups. Not sure why that is hard to accept. Or even why you would care (I couldn't care less about your set up, for example)
  • 97th choice
    Roubaix, you need a road bike.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rubez
    edited March 2014
    Let's start again shall we?

Lets.

TT... what is this time trial? As in off-road?
  • 97th choice
    yes

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rubez
    Good!

So, any of these would be acceptable. All prices are fair.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/forks-forks-tt/fort
  • JBA
    No! None of them are any good. They are all road or track forks.
    The clue is in the link: 'road-track-bike'.

Your wheel and tyre will not fit between the forks.

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    So Offroad TT's are a thing these days? Awesome.

Just be careful as you'll need really big tyres to fit those forks otherwise you won't have the right "feel" off them as your bike needs the weight of the suspension to balance it properly.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Chunkers1980
    Seriously. Don't bite he's taking the p now, no-one could be this stupid and literate.
  • rubez
    JBA wrote:
    No! None of them are any good. They are all road or track forks.
    The clue is in the link: 'road-track-bike'.

Your wheel and tyre will not fit between the forks.

Do you have a decent site that sells suitable forks?

I usually use Chainreaction, but they have hardly anything.

Looking to spend under £200. Preferrably closer to £100.

What about these then?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOSCF4709/on-one-monocoque-straight-steerer-carbon-fork

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOTCF4709/on-one-monocoque-tapered-carbon-fork
  • Chunkers1980
    Concrete is cheaper.
  • rubez
    But less rigid. Why are you skulking around?
This discussion has been closed.