campag Powershift and Ultrashift front mechs.

g00se
g00se Posts: 2,221
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm building a bike at the moment. Currently I've got 11-speed Ultrashift levers and 11-speed Powershift front and rear mechs. I understand the rear will be OK but I'm led to believe that the cable pull is very slightly different on the front?

I've had a similar issue when I put a modern 10-speed Powershift Veloce front mech on a bike with 10-speed 2009 Ultrashift centaur levers. It moved the mech OK but i could never get the trimming positions spot on - there seemed to be about half a click difference in there. I had to get rid of the mech and put an older Centaur mech on to get it right.

Is it the same with 11-speed - or ws it just my inability with setting the 10-speed kit up properly?

Cheers

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm not aware of any cable-pull differences between ultrashift and powershift, indeed I though these terms only applied to the shifters, not to the derailleurs.

I've got Ultrashift/Super Record on the Rourke, works a treat. Fitted Veloce 10sp levers with a Shimano Durace/7 Speed cassette on the rear and DuraAce FD wth Ultegra chainset - the shifting of the FD is pretty good but the big ring limit isn't perfectly aligned with the clicks of the shifter. I would think some fettling would get around any issue you have.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • g00se
    I've heard - but I'm not sure - is that the lever on the powershift front mech is a little longer than the ultrashift ones. So the cable pull on the PS levers is a little greater than the US ones.

Probably need Velotech's input on this :)

I haven't tried fettling yet (on the 11-speed stuff) - thought it best to check before winding myself up :)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    11 speed power shift and ultra shift have the same cable pull. The difference is the way the shifter opperates 5 clicks up vs 3 e.t.c. this is to the best of my knowledge.

You can even use post 2012 veloce/centaur mechs with 11 speed shifters. The front mech cable pull has been the same since the 9 speed days except for the breif interuption of QS.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    g00se wrote:
    I've heard - but I'm not sure - is that the lever on the powershift front mech is a little longer than the ultrashift ones. So the cable pull on the PS levers is a little greater than the US ones.

I haven't tried fettling yet (on the 11-speed stuff) - thought it best to check before winding myself up :)

The length of the lever doesn't necessarily change the pull. The only thing that does that is where your fingers are in relation to the pivot and ditto for where the cable is.

I think Graeme at Velotech told me that the springs are a little weaker on the PS mechs. But I've had no problem with using PS mechs with US levers.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • g00se
    Rolf F wrote:
    g00se wrote:

The length of the lever doesn't necessarily change the pull. The only thing that does that is where your fingers are in relation to the pivot and ditto for where the cable is.

Hi,

Cheers - but I was referring to the lever-arm length on the front mech itself - not the control levers. I though that the pull and lever length on Powershift was the same as the older QS system (much like Powershift is the same as 'Escape' for the mechanism internals).
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    g00se wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers - but I was referring to the lever-arm length on the front mech itself - not the control levers. I though that the pull and lever length on Powershift was the same as the older QS system (much like Powershift is the same as 'Escape' for the mechanism internals).

Ahh, got you. I have both a currentish Centaur front mech and one from about 2008 or 2009 and, finish aside, they appear identical. Of course, if the difference was very small it might not notice but in that case you might think there would be some visual change somewhere.
    Faster than a tent.......