Garmin 510 or Garmin 810 or something else

2»

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    wongataa wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Those apps are not accurate. They rely on triangulation to give a rough location whereas LiveTrack shows your intended course if you've loaded one and where you are on it. If you've never had LiveTrack, you can't really say you miss it.
    They should be pretty accuarate if the phone GPS is turned on. If it isn't then you only get the position based on cell triangulation.

I've had location apps show me over a mile away from my location and GPS is always switched on on my phones. The GPS in a mobile telephone doesn't update quick enough to be reliable which is why it is difficult tracing mispers by their phone signal other than a rough triangulation. Apps like Race Chrono used on track days need the phone to be bluetoothed to an external GPS that updates much more frequently to give accurate positioning.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • StillGoing
    Rolf F wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    If you've never had LiveTrack, you can't really say you miss it.

No, but you can say that you don't feel your life is somehow empty for the lack of it!

I wonder how long it will be before it is normal for it to be considered scary to leave the house without a tracking device.........

That isn't what he said though which is why I said he can't say he doesn't miss it. Nobody said anything about any fear of leaving the house without a tracking system. It has benefits if you have it that are useful. If you don't have it fair enough and you may not want it, but that doesn't negate that it has it's uses for those that do have it such as allowing others to see where you are either for safety, monitoring training schedules and knowing when to set off to meet up during a ride.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    philthy3 wrote:
    wongataa wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Those apps are not accurate. They rely on triangulation to give a rough location whereas LiveTrack shows your intended course if you've loaded one and where you are on it. If you've never had LiveTrack, you can't really say you miss it.
    They should be pretty accuarate if the phone GPS is turned on. If it isn't then you only get the position based on cell triangulation.

I've had location apps show me over a mile away from my location and GPS is always switched on on my phones. The GPS in a mobile telephone doesn't update quick enough to be reliable which is why it is difficult tracing mispers by their phone signal other than a rough triangulation. Apps like Race Chrono used on track days need the phone to be bluetoothed to an external GPS that updates much more frequently to give accurate positioning.
    The GPS on a phone is perfectly capable updating the position every second. I can do it on mine. If it doesn't on your phone it is likely an issue with the how the app using the phone's location functions.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 9
    If you want the live tracking so much for other people like family to know you're safe all sign up to the 'Find Friends' iOS app- that shows everyone you give permission to where you are. there must be a generic version of this on Android and the App Store too, if you don't all have iPhones for example.

Assuming you take your phone out with you.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got an Android phone and use the Life 360 app. Shows all the people in your "family" where you are to within a reasonable degree of accuracy.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    philthy3 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

No, but you can say that you don't feel your life is somehow empty for the lack of it!

I wonder how long it will be before it is normal for it to be considered scary to leave the house without a tracking device.........

That isn't what he said though which is why I said he can't say he doesn't miss it. Nobody said anything about any fear of leaving the house without a tracking system.

I was agreeing with you! And somebody did say something about fear of leaving the house without a tracking system - me! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • StillGoing
    Rolf F wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

That isn't what he said though which is why I said he can't say he doesn't miss it. Nobody said anything about any fear of leaving the house without a tracking system.

I was agreeing with you! And somebody did say something about fear of leaving the house without a tracking system - me! :wink:

Ahh I see. :oops:
  • StillGoing
    wongataa wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    wongataa wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

The GPS on a phone is perfectly capable updating the position every second. I can do it on mine. If it doesn't on your phone it is likely an issue with the how the app using the phone's location functions.

No my phones that I have had have all been fine latest models and set up correctly. I've used Life 360 which has shown family members in other parts of the county when they're sitting right next to me. A smart phone will not be as accurate as a dedicated GPS device, especially if you're moving, as the chipset is designed for different priorities i.e. power consumption, time to fix and lastly location accuracy. A dedicated device is set up to prioritise location accuracy, time to fix and lastly power consumption. A lot of people may be lucky in never having experienced wildly inaccurate readings with a smartphones gps, but for me having done so more than once, I'd never trust it again preferring to use a dedicated device.

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2013/ ... -accuracy/
  • I recommend the 500. Nice and small, no maps. It you need a route to follow use Garmin Connect to set up a breadcrumb route and then add it to the 500.

Live tracking great feature, just use Glimpse www.glympse.com

No need for anything else, save some money on getting the 510/810 and buy yourself a HR montior or a Speed/Cadence sensor for that second bike you have/want to get too! :D

The GPS accuracy on Glimpse (through a phone) wont be as accurate as the GPS on a Garmin through Garmin Connect app but assuming you are road cycling and not in the middle of no where you will be fine and sure someone can find you!