Further clarification needed

warreng
warreng Posts: 535
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
I moved across and left my MTB brethren about 5 years ago and joined the ranks of the po-faced, lycra-clad miserablists and by and large have enjoyed every minute of it. I still get my fix of mud during the summer over Leith/Holmbury but by and large I've not regretted my change of faith. Following on from the fantastic feedback you lot gave me with regard to improving my climbing I need the following clarifying:

1. During the winter I wear full-length tights but still feel the cold below 2-3 degrees. I see fellow cyclists (proper ones - you know, dead skinny and moody) with club shorts over tights which would solve my problem- my question is - are there 2 pads going on there or plain tights under a pad?

2. I've noticed that road-cyclists are getting more miserable on a Sunday morning - you used to get a cheery hello from 75% of people, now that number has reduced to 10% (according to my ride around the Surrey Hills on Sunday)

3. Why can't people who wear rugby socks ride properly?

Thanks in advance
2015 Cervelo S3
2016 Santa Cruz 5010
2016 Genesis Croix de Fer

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    1) Tights (padless) over shorts. Maybe the folk you saw were wearing leg warmers under their shorts. Wearing shorts over tights seems odd unless you are a superhero.
    2) Londoners are miserable gits. Move to a nice part of the country if you want friendliness!
    3) Do such people exist? If so, kill them.

HTH.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Point 1 - thanks, that's been bugging me for ages

Point 2 - Southern MTB folk are cheery, southern road cyclists used to be cheery, southern runners are cheery - what's happened during the explosion in popularity of of road cycling?

Point 3 - see also 22 year olds on fixies, with "wacky" facial hair and a d-lock in their back pocket
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    WarrenG wrote:
    Point 1 - thanks, that's been bugging me for ages

Point 2 - Southern MTB folk are cheery, southern road cyclists used to be cheery, southern runners are cheery - what's happened during the explosion in popularity of of road cycling?

Point 3 - see also 22 year olds on fixies, with "wacky" facial hair and a d-lock in their back pocket

Point 2 - you're not far enough south ...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    WarrenG wrote:
    "wacky" facial hair

They should be exterminated regardless of rugby socks, etc., as they are all BELL ENDS.

Especially the gurls

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    WarrenG wrote:
    I moved across and left my MTB brethren about 5 years ago and joined the ranks of the po-faced, lycra-clad miserablists and by and large have enjoyed every minute of it. I still get my fix of mud during the summer
    You are doing it wrong, there's no mud left to enjoy by summer time, wettest February ever this year was great for mud plugging!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.