Father/Son MTB Build Project - For Cheapskates

quickdirt
quickdirt Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in MTB general
One of my friends recently embarked on a cool mountain bike build project with his son. The son had outgrown his old bike, but my friend didn't have any money to spend on a new one. This forced him to get a little creative, but more importantly, they ended up spending quality time together so he could teach his son how to build a bike up with used parts. It got me thinking about what I would do in the same situation. I tend to just pull out the debit card when my sons need something, but am I missing out on on opportunity to spend time with them or teach them something?

Here is the story:
http://quickdirt.com/2014/03/12/cheapsk ... g-project/

Have you built a bike up from scratch with used parts? I'd love to see a pic or hear the story behind it. Was is it something you worked on with someone else?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I haven't done it to educate a child but built a bike for myself from spares (left from a crash damaged frame) to teach myself about bike maintenance.

I think its a great idea to go through the process of sourcing parts and building with a son or daughter not only to teach handyman skills but also to teach fiscal responsibility - sure for you, assuming you have the cash its easy to buy a new bike and child is happy but if you pull out the laptop and pick through some parts on ebay - chose function and price as well as aesthetics I think you can add a lot to the experience.

Sounds good to me!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.