660mm to narrow for aggressive XC

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hiya,

Quick Question; I'm a fairly broad shouldered guy and have rear that a wider bar might be better for aggressive XC trails ? I mostly ride Cannock chase if anyone knows the area / trails

Then I read other things that advise a narrower bar ?

From your experience what works best is 660mm to narrow ?

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It's personal preference, but a lot of people find that a wider bar with shorter stem gives better leverage and therefore control in really technical stuff. It depends on so many things, but wider bars aren't automatically better.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It depends how aggressive. If it's mild discontent, then you'll be fine on 660s. If it's full on apoplectic, incandescent rage then you need at least 800mm to not die.
  • njee20 wrote:
    It depends how aggressive. If it's mild discontent, then you'll be fine on 660s. If it's full on apoplectic, incandescent rage then you need at least 800mm to not die.

.... :-D
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try a cheap 720ish bar and shorter stem from ebay.
    If you don't like it you can sell them again and it won't cosr you anything.
    Bar and stem combination is quite a personal thing. It also depends on your definition of aggressive xc and your riding style.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And, of course, you can cut many longer bars down anyway. You can't add to them...
  • njee20
    Not true! Who was it who did those 'extension end plugs' a couple of years ago.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes yes, I know that, but... I wouldn't!
  • njee20
    Agreed, looked terrifying!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I believe it was ODI who did some threaded bar extenders for their own bars. Personally I'd get some 780mm Superstar bars and start from there. I did a few years back and soon found that 780mm was too wide so gradually cut them down by 20mm until I got to 740mm and they felt pretty good but I had liked them at 760mm so went halfway at 750mm and never looked back :D
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33
    Chopped 50mm of wifey's bars today after blasting round the monkey and dog at Cannock. Far too wide they were so down to 640mm they went. Feels much better now.
  • I ride a lot at Cannock mostly the red route that includes upper and lower cliff also ride a lot at Thetford

I have some 660 mm bars on order from before I posted this thread and also I have some 760mm coming so I can take the advise on here and give it a go perhaps playing with the width using grips.

The reason I think 660 might not be ok is currently running 680 (standard) and seem to be quiet twitcy on things like lower cliff etc causing sometime was out of front etc

Hopefully a wiser bar will bring me closer to the front wheel and slow input down meaning less twitch

I also plan on running 1. Steerer tube space on top to try that too lower centre of gravity etc
  • daleo86
    daleo86 Posts: 10
    I ride Cannock most weekends, don't go too wide as there are some narrow sections. Mine are 700 now cut down from 780 when i bought them.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Hiya,

Quick Question; I'm a fairly broad shouldered guy and have rear that a wider bar might be better for aggressive XC trails ? I mostly ride Cannock chase if anyone knows the area / trails

used to run 625mm bars before finding 685 were better for everything I did. my current 711 bars are better for the negative slops and technical flats but not as good as the 685's for climbing or commuting ( I hold the bars further in for commuting). This is for my body size though
  • daleo86 wrote:
    I ride Cannock most weekends, don't go too wide as there are some narrow sections. Mine are 700 now cut down from 780 when i bought them.

Thanks for the tip mate - good to get some advise from someone who rides the same trails

I've ordered some 760mm bars and can play with them from there

Shame as the 660 mm carbon ones I've ordered when they get here should look sweet but looks like they will be to narrow.

Plan to ride with the 760 for a while but like you I worried that they may be too wide for Cannock red trails
  • POAH wrote:
    Hiya,

used to run 625mm bars before finding 685 were better for everything I did. my current 711 bars are better for the negative slops and technical flats but not as good as the 685's for climbing or commuting ( I hold the bars further in for commuting). This is for my body size though

Good mix of experience too mate thanks

Meant to ask what stem length are y of guys running I'm on a 50mm
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What the heck is aggresive XC?
  • rockmonkeysc

It involves punching trees and calling rocks c**ts while pedalling fast and growling at yourself.
  • What the heck is aggresive XC?

It involves punching trees and calling rocks c**ts while pedalling fast and growling at yourself.

Lol

All mountain maybe ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    No one rides all mountain any more. Its enduro or nothing
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33

You punch a lot of trees at Cannock with wide bars, I called lots of them c****s the other day too.