Gloves with Gel

Tiesetrotter
Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for a good set of gloves with really good gel pads in the palms. I am thinking long fingers, but not thermal just wind proof.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Be careful - the pads can actually cause pressure points and make any problems you might have worse. I tried some Specialized gloves and had exactly this problem. I find my Assos gloves my best and long-term comfortable. If you have issues, you might want to find the cause (bike fit probably)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • No idea, but try to have your bike set up so you are not putting too much weight on the handlebars.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    As above, avoid gel pads. they're never in the right place, and shift as the glove stretches. Should you want to remove some road buzz from the bars, then use gel pads on the bars an/or gel or cock tape. But good position and good core strength will help - you should be able to hold your "tuck" without your hands on the bars.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Havs a look at grip grab gloves.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    the gel will harden in time and become uncomfortable, you're far better off with some good padded ones ..
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I've had a pair of these for around 5 years now. (I'm assuming its an older model though)

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/body-geometry-gel-long-finger-wiretap/29292/2014equipglovesroadlong

There is a good gel layer on them with reinforced covers which I like as when I was a teenager I came off and ripped my palms up which I don't want to do again.

I find them really good, although they are a little tight around the thumb joint when resting over the hoods after around 2 hours in the saddle.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    I've the previous version of these

http://endura.co.uk/product-detail.asp?ProductID=184

Light, windproof, unobtrusive gel pads. No complaints for the spring/autumn conditions they're designed for though definately not warm enough for really cold days and to warm when it's hot.
  • I should point out, I don't have this problem generally ............ just recently I have been doing regular 130 - 200k rides at a good pace and so the gloves are for that reason.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'm a fan of Spesh BG gel gloves and over many years haven't noticed them getting more uncomfortable due to hardening etc. Granted though not everyone will like the feeling or where the gel is, they work well for me though