Overshoe recommendations

amok
amok Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
Hey there,

I'm pretty set for windy and cold conditions on the 16km hilly commute (that's 10mi, I think?) - mostly internal warmth! One thing I've found on the two rainy commutes was my shoes get soaked. Warmth is not a big issue (yet) but if they get soaked on the way in to work it can be pretty unpleasant putting them back on again, and I worry about the damage caused. They're equipped with cleats and I have seen some neoprene covers, but my question is whether they do much about the water, or whether they're more for warmth? It may get much colder in winter but I don't imagine I'll ever need to face snow. Any recommendations apart from toughing it out?

Comments

• macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I've had some of the £10 planet X neoprene overshoes for a year now and they are great for both warmth and stopping the shoes getting too wet although some will always get into the shoe from underneath.
    when my shoes get soaked i stuff them full of loo roll and that extracts a lot of the moisture from inside the shoe before your ride home.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    I've had some of the £10 planet X neoprene overshoes for a year now and they are great for both warmth and stopping the shoes getting too wet although some will always get into the shoe from underneath.
    when my shoes get soaked i stuff them full of loo roll and that extracts a lot of the moisture from inside the shoe before your ride home.
    +1 from me too Amok
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Greggyr wrote:
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    +1 from me too Amok
    -1 they didn't last, didn't keep my feet warm or dry.
    Endura and ProRace Neoprene overshoes both worked well for me but they cost a bit more.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • amok
    amok Posts: 10
    Great thanks for the responses - neoprene sounds like the way to go. There's not much selection here in NZ so I will find what I can afford.